Facts and Events
Robert Means was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will Abstract of Robert Means
- Page 127.--21st October, 1754. Robert Mean's will - To John McClung. Money in hands of Edward Thomson and Thomas Thomson. To the said Thomas McClung, the note of James Nilly, which is in hands of Thos. Black; wife a keeping, to said John. Teste: James Gay, Jenot Warrick. Proved, 21st November, 1755, by the witnesses; administration granted Thomas Thompson, nephew and heir-at-law of Robert Means, who qualified with sureties Hugh Hicklin and George Wilson.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 21, 1755. - (507). Robert Means's will proved. Admr. moved for by Thos. Thompson, his nephew and heir-at-law, and also by John McClung, who married Jennet, niece of decd.--given to Thomas.
- Will of Robert Means, Augusta County, Virginia
- Know all Men be thes presents that I Robert Means Do mak over my right and title of the within manched (sic-mentioned) to John McClung one soral horse branded on the neare shoulder with this 2 and I do leave to the said John McClong in the hand of Edward Thompson som of seventheen pound virginia money and I do leave in the hands of Thomas Thomson the source of ninetheenten pounds virginia money to the said Thomas McClong and I do leave the note of James Nilley which is in the hands of Thomas Black wife a keeping to the saide John McClong and I do leave my sadle and bridle to Thomas McClong and I do this and all other Demand at my Death leavae to the said John McClong and Thomas McClong as witness my hand this 21 day of October 1754.
- (Signed) Robert Means
- Witness present
- James Gay
- Jenet Warrick
- At a Court cond. & held for Augusta County Novr the 21, 1755. This Last Will and Testament of Robert Means decd being produced in Court was proved by the Witnesses thereto & admitted to record and no Executor being named on the motion of Thomas Thompson, Nephew and heir at law of the said decd who made oath according to law certificate is granted him for obtaining Administration with the wil annexed in due form giving security whereupon the said Thompson with George Wilson and Hugh Hicklen his securities entered into and ackd. their Bond for the said Thompson true & faithful Administration of the sd. decd. Estate.
- Recorded in Augusta County Clerk's Office, Staunton, VA.
- (Will Bk 2, p. 127)