Facts and Events
Robert Graham was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on Robert Graham
There is some conflicting information on the Robert Graham that married Elizabeth Lockridge. Some sources claim that his parents were William Graham and Jane Mays, but according to other sources, including "The History of the Graham Family" by William L. Graham, St. Albans, West Virginia, this Robert is the son of John Graham and Elizabeth Walkup.
Not to be confused with Robert Graham (1702-1763), the uncle of this Robert Graham.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Grant from William Beverley to Robert Graham, planter. 600 acres on Little Calfpasture; Beverley Manor Patent Line; Grassy Lick Tract, 1753. [as listed in the disposition below]
- Page 319.--21st June, 1763. John Graham to Robert Graham, his son, £5, 128 acres, part of above 696; corner John Graham. Delivered: Wm. Clayton, December, 1818.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 435.--21st March, 1754. Robert Graham to John Graham, £20, 307 acres on Little River in the Calf Pasture, part of 600 conveyed by Beverley to Robert.
Will of Robert Graham
- Page 217.--19th August, 1773. Robert Graham's will--To wife; to 3 daughters, Sarah, Rebecca, Jane, infants. Teste: Lanty Graham, James Goy (Gay?), Jean Lockridge. Proved, 16th March, 1774, by Graham and Lockridge. Administration granted Elizabeth Graham, who qualifies (her mark) with Andrew Lockridge, Andrew Kinkead.
- Page 241.--30th April, 1774. Robert Graham's estate appraised by Robert Bratton, William Lockridge, James Bratton--To money due by Wm. Anderson, overseer for Thos. Adams.
- Page 360.--__ _____, 1774. Dr. the estate of Robert Graham. In account with Elizabeth Graham, executrix. April 30--To wool made use of for children's cloaths; to paid Wm. Kinkead for liquor (son to Andrew); to funeral expenses for a child; to paid for cheese at funeral of Robert Graham; to leather sold John Plunkett.
- Page 361.--20th June, 1775. Andrew Lockridge's bond (with George Mathews) as guardian to Sarah and Jane, orphans of Robt. Graham.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 20, 1775. - (78) Andrew Lockridge appointed guardian of Sarah and Jane Graham, orphans of Robert Graham.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 15, 1780. - (183) John Kinkead allowed certificate for 50 acres for services as a soldier in Capt. Wm. Preston's Company of Rangers. Major Andrew Lockridge, guardian of orphan of Robert Graham, deceased, is allowed certificate for land for Graham's services as a soldier in Capt. Preston's Company, 1758.
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 445.--1767-68: Processioned by Henry Stoon and Henry Pickle, Sr., viz: For Honnical Simmons, for Hannah Hawse, for Posley Hover, for Mark Swadley, for Henry Pickle, for Adam Stroud, for Jacob Roleman, for Christian Roleman. Processioned by John McCreery, Jno. Montgomery, viz: From Widow Thompson's to John Kinkead's on Cowpasture, and from Wallace Estill's to mouth of Bullpasture, viz: For Joseph Maze, for Henry Guy, for Charles Lewis, for Benj. Lewis, for Thos. Feemster, for Jno. Montgomery, for Wm. Black, for Francis Jackson, for John Kinkead, for Widow Thompson, for Andrew Donnelly, for John Lewis, for John McCreerey, for Robert McCreerey, for William Jackson, for James Knox, for Thomas Niell. On Bullpasture, viz: For Wallace Estill, for Robert Carlile, for Bond Estill, for John Carlile, for Robt. Graham, for James Bratchey, for Thomas Hicklin, for Saml. Givens.
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 452.--29th July A. D., 1771. John Graham's will--To oldest son, Lanty; to wife, Elizabeth; to James Graham's son, John; to Lanty's brother John's son, John; to daughter Anne; to Jane Lockridge; to Rebecca and her son, John; to Robert Graham; to daughters, Florence and Betty; to sons, Robert and John; to Lanty's daughter, Rebecca; to daughters, Flory, Jane, Betty, and Anne. Executors, wife and son Lanty. Teste: Joseph Robinson, John Kinkead, John Armstrong. Proved, 19th November, 1771, by Kinkead and Armstrong. Executors qualify with James Gay, Wm. Young. [Note: John Graham was Robert's father].
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 20, 1775. - (74) Andrew Lockridge, security for Elizabeth, widow of Robert Graham (now married to Samuel Guinn), prays counter security.
- Graham, William Luther. History of the Graham family. (St. Albans, West Virginia, United States: W.L. Graham, 1982).