Facts and Events
Robert Cunningham was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 547.--18th August, 1761. James Trimble and Sarah to Robert Cunningham, on South Branch in Hampshire County, £22.10, 300 acres in the Crab Apple Bottom, on a branch of South Branch of Potowmack.
Records of Robert Cunningham in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Goff vs. Fisher--O. S. 9; N. S. 3--Isaac Booth deposes March, 1803, in West Augusta, that John and Saliel Goff were the first to improve the land of Thomas Parsons on Cheat River, now generally known as Sim's Bottom & formerly called Cearl's bottom. James Goff, son of John Goff. John improved the land in 1773 & John & Saliel improved it in 1774. Robert Cunningham had a patent from Randolph. Robert formerly lived on the South Branch below the Gap & joined lands with his brother, William Cunningham, and married Prudence Parsons, sister to Thomas Parsons. William Parsons was son to Thomas. Witnesses speak of "South Branch" in Hardy County, just below the Gap, generally called the Gap of Sim's Creek. Robert Cunningham deposes Hardy Co. 4th October, 1800. He, 1770, lived in Horseshoe Bottom on Cheat River, where he made improvement on Big Yough, then called the Right Hand Fork, about one mile from Parson's cabin at the head of the Glades. He sold the land to Goff upwards of 20 years ago.
Possible records of Robert Cunningham in Hampshire County, Virginia
The following MAY be of this Robert Cunningham:
From "Early Records, Hampshire County, Virginia", by Clara McCormick Sage, Laura Sage Jones, pg. 17:
- 1773: Abraham Clarke of Hampshire County to Robert Cunningham and Henry Clark of Hampshire County. Bill of sale. Paid 50 Pounds, 3 shillings, 1 penny; 2 cows, calves, 16 shoats, carpenter tools, household furniture; etc; rec. March 19 1773. Wit: Mary Coberly, James Stall Coberly.
- 1779: Fairfax, Lord Thomas to Robert Cunningham of Hampshire County. Northern Neck of Virginia, Lease. 254 acres on South Branch; rec. May 11 1779. Wit: Peter Hog, G. Jence, Robert Stephen, James Parsons, Abraham Hite, Garret Vanmeter, John Wilson.
- 1784: John Denham of Hampshire County to Robert Cunningham of Hampshire County. 60 acres on South Branch; rec. May 11 1784. Wit: Abraham Clarke, Selathiel Goff, James Tuckwell.
Information on Robert Cunningham
From Ancestry.com post:
Re: Robert Cunningham/Prudence Parsons
reenie1146 (View posts) Posted: 10 Jul 2007 9:27PM
Lord John Cunningham, born about 1710 in Dublin, Ireland, married ??, died 1758 on the south Branch of the Potomac River, Augusta Co., VA/WV. Children: William, Robert, born in Dublin, Ireland, married Prudence Parsons, Augusta Co., VA/WV, died in Hardy Co. VA/WV after 1806. I am searching for a Mary Grimes who married a William Cunningham in Pendleton Co. about 1828. Any information on her would be greatly appreciated.