m. Bef. 1710
- Joseph Cultonabout 1710 - before 1773
- Robert CultonEst 1720 -
Facts and Events
Robert Culton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Robert Culton's land (Borden Tract NW, 368 acres, 1742) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 27-31. 6-7 May 1742. Benjamin Burden of Orange County, Gent., to Robt. Culton of same, yeoman. Lease and release; for ₤11.1. - current money. 368 acres 3 rood 13 perches on the south east side of Moffitt's Creek... corner to Joseph Culton's land... north side of the high timber ridge.. (signed) Benjamin Burden. Wit: Jno. Hart, Jos. Culton, J. Buckanan, Geo. Moffett, Charles (X) Donechey. 22 July 1742. Proved by Charles Donehey, Joseph Culton and George Moffitt. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, pg. 68].
Processioning Lists of 1756 & 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 178.--1756: Processioned by Andrew hays and Jacob Anderson, viz: For Capt. Joseph Culton, for John Stuart, for Robert Stuart, for Alex. McCroskey, for Alex. Miller, for James Moor, for James Robson, for Wm. Reach, for Robert Roech, for James Ritherfoard, for Jno. Bounton, for Wm. Givin, for Robert Culton, for Wm. Porter, for John McCroskey, for Wm. Buchanan, for Charles Hays, for Alex. Walker, Jr., for Alex. Walker, Sr., for James Walker, for John Walker, for John Wallis, for Andrew Hays, for Jacob Anderson.
- Page 287.--1760: Processioned by Reagh and Huston: For James Walker, for James Robison, for James Moore, for Charles Hays, for Andrew Hays, for Samuel Dunlap, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Ealson, for James Anderson, for Jacob Anderson, for Wm. Young, for Alex. Walker, for Alex. Walker, Sr., for Robert Hurt, for John Edmiston, for James Buchanan, for William and Robert Buchanan, for Samuel Hayes, for John Robertson, for Mathew Robertson, for Widow Bell, for James Coulter, for John Buntin, for Wm. Buchanan, for Andrew Buchanan, for Alex. Miller, for John Wallace, for Samuel Buchanan, for Wm. Reaoh, for Joseph Culton, for John Walker, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Catton (Cotton) (s/b Culton), for John Hurt (Hart).
Records of Robert Culton in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 2 - Page ___--William Edmiston deposes, 18th April, in Washington County, 1806, he lived on the land between 1740 to 1745; it was bounded by the land of Robert and Joseph Coulton, Robert Stuart and John Buchanan. James Wardlaw, living in Fayette County, Kentucky, was a very early settler. Deponent is 70 or 71 years old 27th of this month.