Robert Boyd, of Middle River
Facts and Events
Robert Boyd was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- 1750, November 12th--Robert Boyd, 100 (acres), joining Robt. Rodgers and John Patterson. (Note: Records below indicate that this land was located on "Middle River" in Augusta County).
Estate/Guardian Records of Robert Boyd
- Page 421.--21st May, 1752. Eleanor Boyd's bond as administratrix of Robert Boyd, with sureties Robert Poage, Mathew Armstrong.
- Page 385.--19th March, 1765. Archibald Huston's bond (with Pat. Frazier) as guardian (chosen) to Esther Boyd, orphan of Robert Boyd.
- Page 386.--19th March, 1765. Francis and Alexander Gardner's bond for Francis Gardner's guardianship (appointed) to Robt. Boyd, orphan of Robt. Boyd.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1765. - (234) Esther Boyd, aged 15, orphan of Robert Boyd, chose Archibald Huston her guardian.
- Page 234 - Esther Boyd, aged 15, orphan of Robert Boyd, chose Archibald Huston her guardian.- MARCH 19, 1765.
- Page 234 - Francis Gardner appointed guardian to Robert Boyd, orphan of Robert Boyd.- MARCH 19, 1765.
- Page 253 - Esther Boyd to be bound to John McGill.- MARCH 22, 1765.
Records of Robert Boyd in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Licence in Augusta County - 1749: July __, Robert Boyd and Eleanor Porterfield.
- Page 32.--25th March, 1749. John Young's estate, Dr. to James C. Young, administrator: To funeral charges, £4. To cash, by Henry Downs, Capt. Danl. McAnare. Capt. John Brown, Hugh Young, Robt. Scott, Robt. Boyd, John Davis.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 28, 1750. - (415) James McNeal, Wm. Overall, Josiah Parent, Ephraim Leath, Abraham Ciler, Benjamin Gugar, Steven Philips, John Hawkins, Wm. Jackson, Thomas Dodson, John Little, Bernard Agen, Henry Netherton, Richard Waters, George Leath, John Davis, Robert Boyd, added to list of tithables.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1782. - Boyd vs. Gardner.--Chancery writ, 4th September, 1777. Robert Boyd, only son and heir of Robert Boyd, late of this County, who died intestate in 1752, possessed of land on Middle River. Widow Eleanor (mother of orator) qualified administratrix. Orator and his sister were the only surviving children of Robert, Sr., and both infants. When orator became 14 years old he chose Francis Gardner (defendant) as his guardian, who qualified in 1761. Bill for accounting.
Information on Robert Boyd
From Ancestry.com post:
rharper46 (View posts) Posted: 6 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porterfield, Boyd
Does this sound like your Robert Boyd and wife Porterfield?
Descendants of Robert Boyd
- 1 Robert Boyd b: 1718 in County of Donegal, Ireland d: 1752 in Augusta County, Virginia
- .. +Eleanor Porterfield b: 1722 in County of Donegal, Ireland d: 1782 in Augusta County, Virginia m: June 28, 1749 in Augusta County, Virginia Father: John Porterfield Mother: unknown wife of John Porterfield
- .. 2 Esther Boyd b: 1749 in Augusta County, Virginia
- 2 Robert Jr. Boyd b: 1750 in Augusta County, Virginia
- ...... +Mary Glass b: 1760 in Augusta County, Virginia m: December 26, 1780 in Greenbrier, Virginia Father: Samuel Glass Mother: Elizabeth Unknown
- ....... 3 Samuel Boyd b: February 19, 1791 in Lincoln, Virginia d: July 04, 1838 in Whitley, Kentucky
Help fund new features!