- Richard Harrell, Sr.1700 - bet 1751-1758
- Jacob Harrell1710 - 1789
Facts and Events
Richard Harrell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 40-43. 27-28 April 1740. William Russell of Orange County, Gent., to Richard Harrald, planter, of Prince William County. Lease and release; for £45 current money.
- 760 acres on the south side Shenandoah River... by a deep gully... down the river...
- (signed) W.Russell
- Wit: David Vaunce, Charles Buck, Michael (M) French [in release also Richard (h) Harrald].
- 26 June 1740. Acknowledged by William Russell, Gent.
- [Source: Orange County, Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 37].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 271.--18th August, 1749. Richard Harald, Sr., planter, to son, Richard Harrald, Jr., planter of Culpepper, Cave Branch, joining John Harrald, Capt. Russell's line. Teste: Leonard Burton, Judith Hurst.
- Page 272.---18th August, 1749. Richard Harrald to son, William Harrald, planter, and to son, John, and to son, Moses Harrald, and to son, James Harrald. Duggully Branch; also to son. Aaron Harrald. On condition that the sons stay with him until they are of age. Delivered to John Harrald. March, 1758.
- Page 22.--21st November, 1750. Richard Harrald, planter, to Wm. Harrald, planter 180 acres, Shanandore River; corner John Harrald; corner Moses Harrald. Teste. John Fuich (Funk ?) Jr., Henry Nelson (Netherton), James Macay (McKay).
- Page 25.--Richard Harrald to John Harrald, planter, 131 acres, Shanandoe River, corner Richard Harrald, Jr. Teste: Henry Netherton, James McKay. See above.
- Page 27.-(abt. 27th November, 1750) -Same (From Richard Harrald) to James Harrald, 126 acres, Shannadoe River; corner Aaron Harrald; corner Moses Harrald.
- Page 30.-(abt. 27th November, 1750) - Richard Harrald to Moses Harrald, planter, on Shannandoe; corner James Harrald and Wm. Harrald.
- Page 33.-(abt. 27th November, 1750) -Same (Richard Harrald) to Aaron Harrald, planter, 78 acres; corner James Harrald above.
- Page 101.--31st January, 1750. Richard Harrald, Sr., planter, to Richard Harrald, Jr., planter, 51 acres on So. River, Shannando; corner to Moses Harrald. Teste: James McKeey, Jacob Harrel, Wm. Hurst.
Records in Orange County, VA
- Pages 16-19. 6-7 July 1741. William Russell of Orange County to William Husk of Augusta County. Lease and release; for £20 current money. 400 acres on the south side of south river of Shanondoah... lower side of Gowry's run... pattent line to Richard Herrald's line... up the river...
- (signed) W. Russell.
- Wit: Richard (H) Harrald, Elizabeth (E) Harrald, Benjamin (X) Mathews.
- 23 July 1741. Acknowledged by Wm. Russell, Gent.
- [Source: Orange County, Virginia Deed Book 6, 1741-1743, Dorman, pg. 16].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - 1751-52 - Petition recites that last fall the Court sent James McKay and Richard Harrill to view a road. They accordingly viewed a road to strike out of McKay's road at Reuben Paget's and so to keep down the River on the east side to the County line. Prays an order to appoint Philip Crum, William Hurst or William Harrill to be surveyor, and order all tithables on Flint Run and its branches and Gowny's run and its branches from Walter Cunningham's down to the County line: Jacob Harrill, Peter Emlie, Anthony Horton, Reuben Paget, Richard Harrill, Sr., William Owens, John Kelly, Howard Gibson, James McCoy, Philip Crame, Joseph Hokens, William Hurst, Thomas Lann, Richard Harrill, William Harrill, Thomas Monmon, William Colbee, Thomas Harrill, John Harrill, John Jones, Joseph Ballinger, James Land, Moses Harrill.