Facts and Events
Richard Curry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Richard Curry
- pg. 296 - Will of Richard Curry (X) of Bath, dated May 7, 1804
- Wit: Joseph Gregory, Archabald Matheny and Samuel James
- Probated September 1804 Court
- Exec: wife Jennet
- Beq: to eldest son James 25 pounds
- to eldest daughter Elisabeth Sharp one cow or her value in other property
- to Mary Reed the same
- to Catereen (?) Courry (Curry?) 25 bu. Rye, 1 bed and bedding, 1 mare cost & bay
- to Jean Curry, youngest daughter, 1 saddle 1 bed & bedding
- to Richard Curry, youngest son, 2/3 of land
- balance of estate to beloved wife Janet
- Instructions: Legatees to be paid four years from date of will
- [Source: Abstracts of the wills and inventories of Bath County, Virginia, Bruns].
Records of Richard Curry in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1797--September 30, John Sharp and Richard Curry, surety. John Sharp and Elizabeth Curry, daughter of above Richd. Curry.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1799--December 2, Thomas Reed and Richard Curry, surety. Thomas Reed and Mary Curry, daughter of above Richard Curry. Thomas is of age.
Information on Richard Curry
1762c- Richard CURRY (1740-1804) and wife Janet settled in Back Creek Valley in present Highland County, Virginia before 1782. They had children: Elizabeth M. (1763-1859) married John SHARP; Susanna married 1785 William ERVINE; James m. 1786 Mary ERVINE; Andrew; John; Joseph; Mary; Catharine m. Daniel MATHENY; Jean m. Archibald MATHENY. [Source: Morton, Oren F., HISTORY OF HIGHLAND COUNTY, VIRGINIA, pp.277-278].