Facts and Events
Reuben Allen was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Conflicting Information on Reuben Allen
Note: there is conflicting opinion on the identity of Reuben Allen's wife. Some sources indicate that the Ingebo that married Reuben Allen was the daughter of Andrew Bird and Magdalene Jonassan, but records in Augusta County support her as the a daughter of Francis Hughes.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from "Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2":
- G-263: Reuben Allen of Augusta County, 625 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On North River of Shannondoah, adj. Benjamin Allen, near Frank's Ford, 9 Aug. 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 35].
- O-287: Reuben Allen of Frederick County, 15 acres on the North River of Shannandoah in said County. Surv. Robert Rutherford. Adjoining his land, Jackson Allen. 2 June 1770. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 204].
Estate Records of Reuben Allen
- Page 335.--28th May, 1751. Ingbor Allen's bond as administratrix of Reuben Allen, with surety Cornelius Ruddle.
- Page 366.--15th August, 1751. Reuben Allen's appraisement, by John Ruddle, Daniel Holdman, Michael Waren.
- APRIL 20, 1763. - (26) Cornelius Ruddle, security for John Skeen, administrator of Ruben Allen, prays counter security--John summoned.
Records of Reuben Allen in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 22.--19th February, 1746-7. Reuben Allen qualifies administrator of Benj. Allen, with sureties Wm. White, Thomas Moore. (Note: Benjamin Allen was Reuben's Uncle).
- Page 169.--9th August, 1749. William Hill's appraisement by Wm. White, John Daubekins, Reuben Allen.
- Page 265.--30th August, 1750. William James' appraisement, by Wm. White, John Rudle, Reuben Allen.
Help fund new features!