Facts and Events
||South Carolina, USA(date estimated based on the estimated birth of first child)
||Montgomery County, Virginia, USAto Hezekiah Whitt
||Cedar Grove,Wythe County,Virginia, USA(one source says Indian Creek, Tazewell)
||Whitt-Lowe Cemetery, Cedar Bluff, Tazewell County, Virginia, USA
Sometimes confused for Rachel Skaggs who married William Calvin Lester.
- Find A Grave.
(Her memorial has not been added to Findagrave yet. July 2011)
- "She was a daughter of Chief Cornstalk and took the surname Skaggs in honor of William Skaggs who led an expedition with Hezekiah Whitt. So the younger Hezekiah was a nephew of Rachel and named after Rachel's husband." ~October 16, 2008 J Red Wolf [Note: This is probably Person:William Skaggs (7) because William Skaggs (7) served with Thomas Mastin and Hezekiah Whitt. user:cthrnvl ]
- Discussion about the various Rachel Skaggs/Scaggs by Carol at the Bishop_Bischoffresearch forum
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 McDowell and Wyoming Co, WV Families and Individuals
- "She was thought to be Indian and I do have some information on that from her [granddaughter]daughter Shone." Excerpt from SKAGGS-L Archives by Bev Tracy
- Hezekiah WHITT of Tazewell County Virginia was the son of Richard WHITT and Susannah SKAGGS. Hezekiah WHITT married Rachel UNKNOWN. A newspaper article in Grundy County MO on Shone WHITT HARRISON, granddaughter of Hezekiah and Rachel, states that Shone was 1/2/ Cherokee. Does anyone have knowledge as to who Rachel is? I have been told she was a SKAGGS, but I have seen no proof of this.
Beverly Tracy 
- "Find the Greenbrier, not the place, but the woman. She was a daughter of Chief Cornstalk. Much older than her sister Rachel. Once you find Greenbrier and Reuben Kinnison, you find Rachel again. Greenbrier names Rachel Whitt as her sister. Look for them with William Parrish and his wife Elizabeth Kinnison. Elizabeth was daughter to Greenbrier and Reuben." October 21, 2008 J Red Wolf
- "You will find no birth record nor a baptismal record, not a christening, nor any other for this Rachel Skaggs as a daughter of or other blood relation to any Skaggs family. Be aware that she was not of the Skaggs blood, instead, a Shawano. A Cherokee by the tradition of carrying her mother’s clan, but Shawano by the blood of her father. You can only find her “name change” on record, a legal change from her Indian name to Rachel Skaggs. This will give proof to you of her relation to the Cornstalks. Look for her in Montgomery County. She was NOT a Skaggs, keep this in mind." October 20, 2008 J Red Wolf Genforum post
Help fund new features!