Peter Miller, of the North Branch, Shenandoah River
Facts and Events
Peter Miller was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 2 - Peter Miller, 250 acres, Stony Run. Adjoining Barnet Man, Herman. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 272.---15th March, 1769. Peter Miller and Mary ( ) to Charles Long, £50, 248 acres on Stony Run, corner Barnet Man, Hermon's line. Delivered: Conrod Levingston. 26th April, 1785.
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 448.--1767-68: Processioned by Augustine Price and Frederick Armontrout, viz: For Peter Teasler, for Peter Seller, for Michael Shurle, for John Coutts, for Jacob Man, for John Man, for Jacob Herman, for Henry Long for George Mellow, for Anthony Aeiler, for Jacob Nicholas, for John Hetrick, for Henry Seller, for Alveness Roy(g)ers, for Christopher Deter for George Man, for Peter Miller, for George Miller, for George Fridle, for Peter Herman, Jr.; for Augustine Price, Anthony Aeiler present; for Jacob Arcebright, for Adam Heterick, for Adam Pens, for Jacob Miller, for James Fraiser, for Thomas Burke, for Peachey Gilmore for Charles Rush, for Fredk. Armentrout, for David Fraizer, for Jno. Craige.
Records of Peter Miller in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Vol. 1 - Page 147.--5th April, 1751. Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, Saml. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Loran (Logan?), Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence. Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston.
- Vol. 1 - Page 67.--25th May, 1761. Valentine Pence's will--Wife, Cathrine; brother's son, Jacob Pence; first born son, Adam Pence. To Jacob Nicholas, deed to be made for land sold, viz: One-half of a tract of 168 acres devised to him by Stophel Francisco. Lawfully begotten children, viz: Adam, Jacob, Henry, John, Catherine, Sarah, Barbara and Mary, and one in the womb. Executors, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Miller, they to sell tract on Nelson's Run joining David Logan's land. Teste: Jno. Craig, Jacob Nicholas. Proved, 18th August, 1761, by the witnesses. Nicholas refuses to execute. Miller qualifies, with Christopher Harmentrout, Jacob Parsinger, Fredk. Harmentrout.
- Vol. 1 - Page 448.--10th September, 1761. John Bellfaught's estate sold at vendue--To Catrina Faught; to Henry Lynor; to Andrew Faught; to Peter Funk; to Caspar Faught; to Henry Colar; to Elizabeth Bruester; to James Waite; to Alex. Kile; to Geo. Trout; to Robt. Reyburn; to Jno. Hines, Geo. Martin, Peter Miller. Robt. Stevens, Edward Rutledge, James Cover, David Menerley. Cash paid Christian Clements for 1 year's board of the widow. Balance due the legatees to be equally divided between Andrew Faught, Casper Faught. and the wife.--Christian Clements. Recorded, 21st May, 1766.
- Vol. 1 - Page 337.--18th September, 1761. Jacob Harman, Sr.'s will--To wife Catrina, tract adjoining where son Peter lives; to son Jacob, 134 acres, with a mill adjoining Peter Miller; to son Teawalt, 50 acres joining Shawp's line, against the Peaked Mountain; to son John's son, Peter Harmon; to son Peter; to 4 daughters; to daughter Elizabeth; to 5 grandchildren, Philip, William and Madlina Price; to the church near the Meeting House now built, 2 acres. Executors, wife Catrina and son Peter.--Jacob Harman. Teste: Archd. Huston, Jacob Parsinger, Peter Miller (German). Proved, 15th May, 1764, by the witnesses. Executors qualify, with George Man. Peter ( ) his mark. Cath. ( ) her mark.
- Page 20.--17th November, 1761. Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence, to Valentine Malchier, £25, 275 acres on North River of Shanandore, first granted to James McCarrel by patent, 5th July, 1751, and conveyed to Valentine Pence and devised by Pence; cor. David Logan. Delivered to Valentine Melchior, October, 1786.
- Page 266.--15th May, 1762. William ( ) Frazier to John Heterick, £10, 28 acres on Shanando patented to Wm., 10th March, 1756; Stover's line, Haine's Bottom. Teste: Jacob Nicolas, Peter Miller, Peter Brisler (Treslar).
- Page 341.--24th May, 1764. Jacob Harman's estate appraised, by Archd. Huston, Jacob Persinger, Peter Miller.
- Page 828.--8th February, 1765. Valentine Metcher (Matcher) to Ludwick Francisco and Charles Rush, mortgage, £25, 275 acres on a branch of North River of Shanandoe, purchased by Valentine from Peter Miller; corner David Logan's land. Delivered: Charles Rush, May, 1766.
- Page 800.--27th February, 1765. Jacob ( ) Persinger and Catrina ( ) to Augustine Price, £80, tract conveyed to Jacob by Sharp, 16th May, 1759, 167 acres; corner Harmon and Peter Miller; also 65 acres joining aforesaid tract, part of 130 acres granted Jacob by patent, 30th August, 1763. Teste. Delivered: Anthony Ailer, April, 1772.
- Page 802.--9th March, 1765. Teawalt ( ) Hannan and Sarah ( ) to George Mallow, £30, 50 acres between Peeked Mountain and Shanandore, devised to Teawalt by his father Jacob, Price's line. Teste: John Madison, John Madison, Jr., Peter Miller. Delivered: George Mallow, May, 1776.
- Page 900.--18th March, 1765. Henry Long and Catrina ( ) to George Fridley, £20, 120 acres between Picked Mountain and Shenandore River, part of 250 acres patented to Henry, 20th August, 1760; Jacob Hannon's line, corner Peter (?) Miller's land. Delivered: Jacob Pence, 16th April, 1779.
- Page 501.--18th March, 1767, recorded. Valentine Pence's estate to Peter Miller, executor--Paid Henry Long, who married one of Valentine's daughters, her legacy; paid Jacob and Adam Pence, their legacies; paid Jacob Nicholas as exla of Mathew Sharpe. Received from Conrad Peterfish, Jno. Counts, Christian Teter, Jacob Moyer, Christopher Reisling, Nicholas Null.
- Page 174.--__ _____, 1768. Jacob Pence's estate settled, by Valentine Pence--Paid Jacob Pence remainder of his portion of his father's estate, paid George Pence, John Pence, Wm. Pence. Errors excepted by Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence.
- Page 199.--14th November, 1768. Received of Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, £2.18.6-1/2, being the ballance due me on settlement of my father's estate.--Yacob bru-- (Pence). Ditto, similar receipt from George Pence.
- Page 200.--Ditto (Received of Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence), similar receipt from Johann. Ditto, similar receipt from William. Ditto, similar receipt from Christian Parsinger for his wife Barbara's portion of her father's estate.
- Page 347.--20th November, 1770. Charles Rush's bond (with Daniel Sink, Peter Miller) as administrator of Nicholas Hoffman.
- Page 430.--21st May, 1776. Valentine Pence's estate settled by Peter Miller--Paid Henry Pence, legatee, since former settlement; paid John Pence, legatee, since former settlement; paid Henry Swatzer, who married Mary Pence; paid George Probo, who married Barbara Pence; paid Sarah Pence. Received from Henry Metsker.
Help fund new features!