Facts and Events
Paul Long was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange/Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 280-282. Indenture 1 March 1744/5 between Richard Mauldin Junr., and Paul Long.. deeds of lease and release.. payment of £24.. adj. Henry Dooling line.. Phillip Long.... (signed) Richard Mauldin (Seal). Recorded Orange County 1 March 1744/5. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 29].
- Paul Long acquired all of his father Philip Long's lands in Orange and Augusta County, as eldest son after Philip Long's death in 1755. When Paul Long died just a few years later in 1759, the land then descended to his eldest son Phillip, as listed in many of the records below. This land was located on the Shenandoah River near "Peaked Mountain".
Records of Paul Long in Orange County, VA
- Pages 50-51. George Everts. Inventory. 20 Jan. 1744 .
- Total valuation £45.8.6
- Rudia Moak [Mock]
- Paul Lung [Long]
- Adam Millir [Miller]
- 28 Feb. 1744. . Returned.
[Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, Dorman, pg. 8].
(Note: Adam Miller, who lived nearby and married Anna Coger could possibly be the brother of Paul Long's wife, Barbara).
Records of Paul Long in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 12.--19th April, 1746. Abraham Strickler's inventory appraised by Jeremiah Sutton, Paul Long, Rudolph Maag. Recorded, 18th June, 1746.
- Page 225.--21st May, 1747. William Burk to Henry Downs, Gent., £85 current money Virginia; 350 acres on Shenandoe River at the upper end of 2,000 acres that did belong to Richard Malden near Peaked Mountain; corner to Paul Long; Selsor's line. Witnesses, Adam Muller, Barbara Miller, Jno. Edwards. Acknowledged, 21st May 1747.
- Page 267.--27th November, 1750. Paul Lung's bond as administrator of Rudy Mauck, with sureties Frederick Fraclich (Frailey), Peter Scholl.
- Page 209.--20th May, 1751. Henry Downes, Sr., of Orange Co., Gent., to Philip Lung, 350 acres on Shanadore adjoining Richard Mouldin's 2000 acre tract, near Peaked Mountain. Cor. Paul Lung, Sealer (Scaler) Hill.
- Page 497.--19th December, 1751. John Jacob Rothgab's will. Settled and living at South Shanado. Written in High Dutch and translated by How Dickins. Son, John George (infant). Son, Peter. Daughters. Elizabeth, Anna, Barbery, Catherine. Wife, Anna. Executors, wife. Anna, and Paul Lung. Teste: John Spiller, John Taylor, Martin Forelight. Proved, 16th May, 1753, by John Taylor, who declared the other witnesses dead, and widow, Anna, qualified. (Signed Ann Holloback) with surety Peter Rufner.
- Page 502.--16th May, 1753. Paul Long's bond as guardian (appointed) to Conrad and Jacob Cood, orphans of Caspar Fought (Vaught), deceased, with surety John Taylor.
- Page 494.--20th March, 1764. Philip Long, eldest son and heir-at-law of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir-at-law of Philip Long, deceased, of Frederick County, Virginia, to Jacob Campbell, £30, 150 acres purchased by Philip, the elder, of Richard Mauldin, and deed recorded in Orange; corner Jacob Coger. Delivered: Jacob Campbell, February, 1768.
- Page 143.--20th August, 1765. Philip Lung, eldest son and heir of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir of Philip Lung, deceased, of Frederick County, to Henry Lung, of Augusta, £200, 350 acres on Shanandore River, at the upper end of Richard Mauding's 2,000-acre tract, purchased by Philip, Sr.. from Henry Downs, pine near Peaked Mountain, Paul Lung's line. Sealer's line. Delivered: Henry Lung, October, 1766.
- Page 146.--15th May, 1765. Same ((Philip) Long) and Kathrine ( ) to Henry Long, brother of said Paul, and uncle to said Philip, Jr., £100, 240 acres sold by Richard Mauldin to Philip, Sr., 22d September, 1743, descended to Paul and from Paul to Philip Jr., on Shanandore River, Henry Long's other land.
- Page 318.--22d March, 1769. Henry Long to Gabriel Jones, £50, 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Philip Long, descended to Philip as eldest son of his father Philip Long, on Shanandore River at upper end of Richard Maulding's 2000 acres tract, near Peaked Mountain, Sealer's line. Mortgage. (Note: this record is in error, either a transcribing error, or written incorrectly in the deed book. What is should say is: 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Paul Long, descended to Paul as eldest son of his father Philip Long. This is confirmed by the acquisition of this same 350 acres, listed above).
- Page 116.--Lands of Robert Slaughter, Jr., and Michael Coagar, purchased by Jacob Campbell (wife Jane), son and heir of Paul Long, deed recorded in Orange. Delivered to Kite's order, 24th May, 1817. (Note: this record appears somewhat confusing, needs further research).