m. 18 March 1739/40
m. 23 AUG 1783
Facts and Events
Moses Hoge was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Information on Moses Hoge
From "Early American Presbyterians" (http://sdsspc1.physics.lsa.umich.edu/amckay/presbioh.htm#Rev. Moses Hoge)
Moses Hoge, D.D. (1752-1820) He was born in Middletown in what is now Frederick co., Virginia, February 15th, 1752. He was the son of James Hoge and his wife Nancy Griffith (Note: other sources have his parents as James Hoge and his second wife Agnes Crawford), grand son of William Hoge and Barbara Hume, who came from Scotland about 1682 and finally settled on the Opequon. He was a student in Culpeper Co., under Rex Adam Goodlet, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. He served, for a short time, as a soldier in the Revolution, but under what circumstances cannot now be ascertained. He entered Liberty Hall Academy, at Timber Ridge, in 1778 under Rev. William Graham; completed his studies there in 1780; and on the 25th of October of that year was received as a candidate by the Hanover Presbytery. During the pendency of his trials for licensure, he prosecuted his theological studies still further, under the direction of the celebrated Dr. James Waddel, and was licenced to preach in November 1781. He was ordained Dec. 13, 1782 at Brown's Meeting House, Augusta Co., (now Hebron) Virginia. He became pastor of the congregation named Concrete, in Hardy county, December 13th, 1782, and during his pastorate taught a school which secured important advantages to the youth in the neighborhood. After spending about five years on the south branch of the Potomac, and finding the climate injurious to his health, notwithstanding the devoted attachment of his people, and their earnest wish to retain him, he removed, in the Autumn of 1787 to Shepherdstown, where he soon gathered a large congregation, and acquired great popularity throughout the whole region. He was a charter member of the Presbytery of Winchester and first moderator and stated clerk of the presbytery in 1794. In 1807 Dr. Hoge, was invited to take charge of the academy in Charlestown, about ten miles from Shepherdstown, and to divide his ministerial labors between the two places, but he declined the offer. Shortly, after this he was appointed President of Hampden-Sydney College, in place of Dr. Alexander, who had removed to Philadelphia, and at the same time ws invited to be assistant preacher in Cumberland and Briery congregations, each of them about then miles distant from the college. After considerable hesitation, he consented to remove. He was inaugurated as President of the College during the sessions of Synod in the month of October, and was welcomed to his new field of labor with every expression of good will and confidence.
The subject of education for the ministry having been discussed by the General Assemby in 1809, it was resolved to send down to the Presbyteries the inquiry whether there should be one or more Seminaries established. A divided answer was returned to the Assemby, but the Presbyteries of Virginia determined in favor of Synodical Seminaries, and the Assembly having consented to this, whenever it should be preferred, while yet they determined on establishing a central one, the Synod of Virginia, in 1812, resolved to establish a Seminary within their bounds and unanimously appointed Dr. Hoge their Professor..
From this time on until his death he held the two offices of President of the College and Professor of Divinity, under the appointement of the Synod.
In 1819, Dr. Hoge's constitution, under his multiplied and onerous labors, was found to be giving way. For several months he was confined to hiws chamber, and part of the time to his bed, but he still, even in his feeblest state, continued to hear the daily recitation of his class. In the course of the Summer his health was so far recruited that he paid a visit to friends in the Valley about Shepherdstown and Winchester, which proved to be his last. In the Spring of 1820 he attended the meeting of his presbytery, in Mecklenburg county, and was appointed a delegate to the General Assembly, to meet in Philadelphia. He extended his journey as far as New York, with a special view to attend the anniverary of the American Bible Society. This desire being gratified, he spent a little time at Princeton, and then proceeded to Philadelphia. Here, while attending the sessions of the General Assembly, he departed this life, July 5th, 1820. His remains repose in the burying ground of the Third Presbyterian Church in that city, by the side of those of his intimate friend, Dr. John Blair Smith, who had formerly been President of Hampden-Sydney College.
He married Elizabeth Poage, August 23, 1783, daughter of John Poage and granddaughter of one of my ancestors, Robert Poage, of Staunton, Virginia. She died Jun 18 1802. He married, second, October 25, 1803, Mrs. Willaim Pitt Hunt, born Susannah Watkins (about 1760-1840)) Four grown sons by Elizabeth became ministers, James, John Blair and Samuel Davies, and one, a physician, Thomas Poage Hoge who practiced at Charlotte, Danville and Sutherlin, Virginia.