Facts and Events
Michael Cloyd was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 343.--20th May, 1761. David Cloyd to Michael Cloyd, £10, 400 acres on Pecimmon Branch of James River. Teste: Joseph Robinson, James Cloyd, George Alexander. Delivered: William McClenaclian, November, 1766.
- Page 346.--20th May, 1761. David Cloyd to Michael Cloyd, £5, 262 acres on Percimmon Branch of James River, adjoining David Mitchel and William Mills; cor. Mills' former survey. Delivered.
- Cloyd, Michael. Will probate April 1807.
- Names children: John, David, Michael, Samuel, Joseph, (land on Cloyd's st., Amsterdam) Jesse and Elizabeth Law (land on Round st., Amsterdam).
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 54].
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 383.--For James Neilly (on Goose Creek), Abram Ellis and Wm. Carelton present; for Wm. Caulton (Carelton?), on Lick Run; for Col. Wm. Preston, 1,590 acres where he dwells, on a branch of Buffelo Creek joining David and Michael Cloyd, Widow McDonald, James Robinson, Saml. Robinson, Joseph Snodgrass, David Mitchell, Wm. Snodgrass; for Cap. Robt. Breckinridge, 797 acres, where he dwells, on Buffalo Creek, joining David Robinson, John Neilly, Rob. Neilly, Arch. Graham.
- Page 408.--1765: Processioners on Waters of James and Catawbo, on South side, report, viz: For Thomas McFerrin, on Persimmon Run; for Michael Cloyd, for Wm. Herbison, adjoining Andw. Monelly; for Robt. Rowland, for Jas. Rowland; for J_____ Looney, on Sinking Spring; for Andw. Monelly; for Jno. Mills, on Looney's Mill Creek; for Jas. Moore, on Looney's Mill Creek; for Margt. Rentfro, on Beaver Dam Run and Looney's Mill Creek; for Wm. Rowland, for Geo. Poage, for Jno. Mills, where he now lives; for Margt. Clark, where she now lives; for Margt. Clark, on Back Creek; for George Burdwell, for James Lauderdale.
Help fund new features!