Mathias 'Matthew' McGlammery
d.bef. 15 July 1817
Facts and Events
Mathias McGlammery was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 172 - Mathias McGlammery, 590 acres, Smith Creek. Adjoining Harrison, Needham. NOvember 2, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 62].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 329.--7th July, 1770. Jacob Warren's estate sold by Anne Warren--To Alexander West, Michael Warren, John Werren, Timothy Warren, Edmond Warren, John Broion, Robert Mathes, Abriham Lincoln, Mary Warren, Methias McGlamry.
- Page 19 - Daniel Fraily, 12 acres, Smiths Creek. Adjoining McGlamires, Needams. January 4, 1781. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 103].
- Page 23 - Zebulon Harrison, 137 acres, South side of Smiths Creek. Adjoining McGlamiries and near Phillips line. April 5, 1782. Entry made by Harrison November 17, 1770, for 200 acres. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 104-105].
About Mathias McGlammery
- Mathias (Mathew or Matt) McGlammery married Lydia (Lincoln) Bryan. She was previously married to Hannah Bryan (s/b Benjamin Bryan) and they had one child. It appears that Mathias and Lydia had two daughters, Sarah and Bathsheba by this union. Lydia was left all property and possessions as a life estate, then it went to Sarah and her husband John Wray, again, as a life estate. Since no further provisions were made it would be assumed that the property ascends from them. (Mathias McGlamery’s will was probated on July 15, 1817) Mathias birth date was approximately 1753 (*??) and he married Lydia about 1770. Lydia lived with John and Sarah after Mathias’s death.
- Note: since Mathias acquired land in 1770, he had to have reached adulthood, so he was likely born earlier, perhaps abt. 1745-1748.
- [Source: http://secondcreekwv.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/josiahhokefarm.html]