Facts and Events
Lancelot Graham was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 549.--15th November, 1763. Jean Graham, only acting executor of Robert Graham, to Lanty Graham, £82, 307 acres on Little Calf Pasture, corner land formerly Jno. Graham's. Delivered: Lanty Graham, November Court, 1777.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 176.--20th March, 1772. Lanty Graham, son and heir of John Graham, deceased, to James Blayr (taylor), John Graham in his lifetime had obtained a mortgage of 220 acres whereon said Blair now lives according to the patent. Release of the mortgage. Not delivered.
Will of Lancelot Graham
- Page 116.--29th December, 1779. Lanty Graham's (Grams) will--To wife, Elizabeth; to daughter, Rebecca; to brother John Graham's two sons, John and James Graham; to brother John Graham's son, Lanty; to brother Robert Graham's daughter, Sarah Graham, infant; to mother. Executors, wife, and brother John Graham. Teste: Andrew Lockridge, John Graham. Thos. Hughart. Proved, 15th February, 1780, by Hughart and Lockridge. John Graham appears and refuses to execute. Elizabeth Graham qualifies.
- Page 118.--16th March, 1780. Lanty Graham's estate appraised by Andrew Hamilton, Wm. Lockridge, Wm. Meteer.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER 19, 1780. - (302) John Graham appointed guardian of Rebecca Graham, daughter of Lanty Graham.
- Vol. 2 - 19th September, 1780--John Graham, guardian of Rebecca, orphan of Lanty Graham.
Will of Lancelot Graham's widow, Elizabeth
- Page 171.--3d June, 1812. Elizabeth Graham's will--To granddaughter, Elizabeth Redenhouse; grandson. James Nelson Bell; granddaughter. Rebecca Burgess; a grandson, Lancelot Graham Bell; grandson, John Hamilton Bell. Executors, Rev. Jno Montgomery. Teste: Ro. Dunlap, Andrew Kinkead, Jno. Clayton, Jno Montgomery. Proved, November Term, 1812. Rev. Jno. Montgomery, refuses and adminstration granted John Montgomery, Jr.
Processioning List of 1764
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 378.-- Processioners appointed as follows, viz (1764): Adam Bird and JohnThomas, in Brock's Gap to the mountain. Archibald Huston, James Brewster, Thos. Moore, Thos. Lackey, from County Line to Fowler's, then down North River to Mr. Jones's, then along the Picked Mountain to the Countyline. Henry Long, Daniel Price, Jacob Miller, Jacob Nicholas, from Mr. Jones's to the Picked Mountain, and as low as the County Line on both sides the river to Mouth of South River. Adam Rider and Michael Neese, in the Forests. Andrew Lockridge, Alex. Hamilton, Joseph Waughub, Lanty Graham, on both Rivers of Calfpasture and waters thereof.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage in Augusta County - 1763--June 22, Lanty Graham. (Note bride's name not listed)
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1771. (A). - Sarah and Benjamin Harrison, Executors of Daniel Harrison, deceased, vs. James Blair, John Graham, Jr. and Sr., Lanty Graham and John Vaub ("Graham" is spelled "Grimes").--Defendant. Writ, 1st September, 1770.
- Page 452.--29th July A. D., 1771. John Graham's will--To oldest son, Lanty; to wife, Elizabeth; to James Graham's son, John; to Lanty's brother John's son, John; to daughter Anne; to Jane Lockridge; to Rebecca and her son, John; to Robert Graham; to daughters, Florence and Betty; to sons, Robert and John; to Lanty's daughter, Rebecca; to daughters, Flory, Jane, Betty, and Anne. Executors, wife and son Lanty. Teste: Joseph Robinson, John Kinkead, John Armstrong. Proved, 19th November, 1771, by Kinkead and Armstrong. Executors qualify with James Gay, Wm. Young. (Note: John Graham was Lanty Grahsm's father).
- Page 220.--17th March, 1773. Andrew Kinkead, Jr., to Thomas Hugart, Andrew Lockridge, William Kinkead, Andrew Hamilton, Lanty Graham. James Bratton, trustees of a congregation of Dissenters, on the Calfpasture River, for use of a burying ground and meeting house.
- Page 217.--19th August, 1773. Robert Graham's will--To wife; to 3 daughters, Sarah, Rebecca, Jane, infants. Teste: Lanty Graham, James Goy (Gay?), Jean Lockridge. Proved, 16th March, 1774, by Graham and Lockridge. Administration granted Elizabeth Graham, who qualifies (her mark) with Andrew Lockridge, Andrew Kinkead. (Note: Robert was Lanty's brother).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 20, 1775. - (78) Elizabeth and Lanty Grimes, executors of John Grymes, to be summoned to show cause why they have not rendered an account. (Note: s/b Graham)
- Page 523.--19th August, 1777. Recorded. Mathew Kinkead's appraisement by Andrew Hamilton, Lanty Graham, John Wright.
- Vol. 1 - Package marked "Papers--1780 to 1790."--This is to certify that I, Robert Gewn (signed Gwinn) and William Forknor, executors, and uncles to James Neal's orphans, are desirous that there should be an order to bind Samuel Neal to Lanty Graham, and James to Robert Gewn. October, 1778. (Signed) Robert Gwinn, William Forknor.
Information on Lancelot Graham
7. LANCELOT 'LANTY'3 GRAHAM (JOHN2, CHRISTOPHER1) (Source:
David Graham, History of The Graham Family, (1899).) was born Abt.
Child of LANCELOT 'LANTY' GRAHAM is:
i. REBECCA4 GRAHAM, b. Abt. 1760.