Facts and Events
Joseph Woods was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Woods, Joseph. Will probate April 1816.
- Names children: Carlos, Edward, Thomas, Joseph, James, Anna, Mary Stull, Martha and Sally.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 65].
- From Ancestry Message Board:
- I have been tracing a Joseph WOODS who married Martha EPPERSON. Family legend says he was born about 1744 and was related to the WOOD/CAMPBELL line. Another legend says his brother was James WOOD founder of Winchester.
- These legends are just that at this point. The connection to that WOOD/CAMBELL line could also be through a WOOD/REYNOLDS marriage that occurred later. The REYNOLDS line goes back to a Thomas REYNOLDS who married Mary WOOD of Frederick Co. about 1708.
- Joseph WOODS appears to have lived with/near his wife's family and not near other WOOD/WOODS. I first find him witnessing a will of William ANGELEA in Cumberland Co. about 1763 with his father-in-law. His father-in-law, Francis EPPERSON bought land in Cumberland Co. about 1754. I know for sure that they lived in Charlotte Co. about the time of the Rev. War. at the headwaters of Dunnavant Creek as his brother-in-law, Thomas EPPERSON sells land "upon which Joseph Woods and his family lived." Legend says Joseph inherited land in Botetourt Co. between 1787-1802. In any case, we can't find him during that time period. He bought land in Botetourt Co. in 1802 on the James River. Mysteriously, there is a marriage for a Joseph WOOD and Mary EPPERSON after 1800 in KY and a settlement regarding the heirs of Joseph WOOD in 1816 in KY, which is the year my Joseph WOOD died and his estate was settled in Botetourt Co. VA
- Joseph and Martha had the following children:
- Carlos or Carolus WOOD b. 1766 d. 1828 Charlotte or Pr. Edw m. 1st Druscilla HOLLOWAY Pr. Edw child: Davis Morton WOOD; m. 2nd Glaffery BAILEY Charlotte Co. ch: Mary Vernon WOOD, Thomas Epperson WOOD (conf soldier), William WOOD (no info), Joseph WOOD (union soldier no info)
- Mary "Polly" WOOD b. 1768 d 1846 m. John STULL Botetourt CO.; ch: George STULL, Sally STULL m. Thomas MALONE;
- Elizabeth WOOD b. 1770 d. abt 1837
- Lucy WOOD b. 1772 d. young
- Ann WOOD b. 1774 d. abt 1847
- Martha WOOD b. 1774 d. 1857 m. Thomas MOORE Bot, as a widow moved to Randolph Co.; Ch: Thomas A. MOORE, Betsy MOORE m. John MALONE, Clarinda MOORE, John Wood MOORE m. cousin Mary WOOD, Joseph MOORE m. cousin Amanda WOOD, Sally MOORE m. cousin Thomas Epperson WOOD, Mary Ann MOORE, m. Alexander LOGAN
- William Edward WOOD b. 1777 d. 1848 m. Sally GILLILAND settled Bath Co. Ch: Betsy WOOD m. Samuel LEMON, James W. WOOD d. 1849, Sarah A. WOOD m. Powhatan TOLLEY, Augusts WOOD m. cousin Mary Vernon WOOD, Mary WOOD m. cousin John Wood MOORE, Amanda WOOD m. cousin Joseph MOORE, Patsy MOORE m. Henson DOUGLAS, Harriet S. WOOD m. John Q. WILSON, Joseph T. WOOD m. Lucy Jane DAVIS, Elvira E. WOOD m. John W. ARMENTROUT, John Carter WOOD m. 1st Clarissa Elizabeth WILSON, m. 2nd Polly Wamsley CHANNELL, Frank Marion WOOD (d. civil war) m. Rebecca Young ENTSMINGER, America WOOD m. John J. PIERCE
- Thomas WOOD b. 1780 d. 1849 m. Sarah Anne DAVIS Pr. Edw, Charlotte Co. then Bot. Ch: Elizabeth WOOD m. William ACTON, Samuel Davis WOOD m. Panthea DAVIS, Mary S. WOOD m. Claiborne B. REYNOLDS, Fanny WOOD m. Thomas MALONE, Ann Friend WOOD m. Thomas ACTON, Sarah S. WOOD m. Thomas D. WALTHALL
- Sally WOOD b. 1783 d. 1856 m. William ROWLAND Botetourt; Ch: William Robert ROWLAND, Eliza G. ROWLAND m. William S. DAVIS
- Joseph Thomas WOOD b. 1786 d. 1851 m. 2nd Amanda HAYNES settled Bath then Upshur Co. Ch: William S. WOOD, Mary Ann WOOD m. William BALSLEY, David M. WOOD, Harriet WOOD, Susan WOOD m. George H. CLARK, Evaline WOOD, Francis WOOD, Granville WOOD, James R. WOOD
- Francis WOOD (male) b. 1789 d. young
- James H. WOOD b. 1790 d. 1846 m. Eliz. Crenshaw DAVIS Pr. Edw. (sister of Sarah Anne DAVIS) child: Davis Morton WOOD
- Martha EPPERSON's brother, Thomas EPPERSON married in Charlotte Co., Martha CARDWELL, dtr of John and Kezia Lowe CARDWELL. Her sister Anne married William ATKINS in Charlotte Co.
- From Rootsweb Message Board:
- MOORE/ WOOD/WOODS: Looking for info. on Joseph WOOD/WOODS. Date & place of birth unknown. Probate of estate in Botetourt Co., VA in April 1816. Looking for wife and parents of Joseph WOOD/WOODS.
- Children of Joseph WOOD/WOODS:
- Martha WOODS married Feb. 2, 1795 Botetourt Co., VA to Thomas MOORE
- Carlos WOODS
- Edward WOODS
- Thomas WOODS
- Joseph WOODS II
- James WOODS
- Anna WOODS
- Mary WOODS married March 31, 1804 Botetourt Co., VA to John STULL
- Sally WOODS
- Dinah WOODS married June 2, 1788 Botetourt Co., VA to Joseph KELLY
Help fund new features!