Facts and Events
||bef. August 1743
||to Elizabeth King
Joseph Wait (Waite) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Fairfax County, VA
- Indenture made 19 Aug 1743 between Joseph Wait of Truro Parish in Fairfax County and John Poultney of same county, sells land above Goose Creek being the fourth part of a tract of land formerly granted to William King, late of said county, deced., father of Elizabeth (King), now wife of Joseph Wait, containing 150 Acres. [Source: Fairfax County Deed Book A, 1742-1746]
- 19 Aug. 1743. - Joseph Wait, Truro Parish, Fairfax Co. to John Poultney, of same, 150 A. in sd. Co. above Goose creek, 1/4 part of land granted Wm. King, deed, of said Co. father to Elizabeth, now w. of Joseph Wait. Wit. John Minor, Wm. Henry Terrett, Richard Poultney. 19 Aug. 1743, p. 75. [Source: Fairfax County Deed Book A, 1742-1746]
- 26 Oct. 1745. John Poultney, Truro, Fairfax Co. to Mathew Hopkins, Prince George's Co. Md., merchant, John Carlyle, John Pagan. Names in deal, land Fairfax, above Goose Creek joining Josias Chapman, formerly Wm. King, deed. purchased of Peter Dyer " Mary (King) his W., Joseph Wait & Elizabeth (King), his w. daus. of Wm. King, Elinor widow of Wm. King, 305 A. part of 800 A. granted Patrick Lynch who sold to Richard Abriel, sold by him to Daniel James; John Barart, Micheah Tracy John Davenport, Joseph Anderson. Wit. John Struman, Richd. Sanford, Gilbert Ashton, 20 Nov. 1745. p. 500. [Source: Fairfax County Deed Book A, 1742-1746]
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1746/7. - (179) John Newport, Assignee of Ogullion vs. Joseph Wait} Three days work, six shillings.
- Page 147.-5th April, 1751. Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James (Downing?) Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, SamI. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Logan, Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence, Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston.
- Page 144.-20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor-Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Augusta County Road Orders, 1745-1769 - 23 March 1753, pg. 430; Joseph Waite is hereby Appointed Surveyor of the highway in the room of James Berkeley and it is Ordered that with the titheable persons Usually work'd on th said road under the s'd Berkeley he Clear and keep the Same in repair According to Law.
Help fund new features!