Facts and Events
Joseph Carden was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1795 (A to G). - Elizabeth Carden, infant, by Joseph Carden, next friend, vs. Samuel Thomas.--Case, 19th August, 1794. (Note: Elizabeth Carden is likely a grand-daughter of Joseph).
Will of Joseph Carden
- In the name of God Amen
- I Joseph Carden of the county of Monroe & State of Virginia being weake in body but of sound mind and disposing memary do make and ardain this my las will & testament in manner and form following to wit.
- I will & bequeath tyo my beloved wife Mary the third of all i posses and that she live with my two sons Isaac & John Carden and at her Death her thirds to divided between Isaac & John Carden.
- The said two sons Shal Support ther sister Rachel If she never marry while she lives and their sister Mary, and if Either of them do Marry they are to have a part of the household furniture and I will that all the money I have and that which is owing to me be laid out in land to be divided Equally between my Two Sons, Isaac & John Carden at their mothers Death, and my son Isaac Carden Shale have the horse he now owns and for the money he Expended Shal pay one hundred & five Dollars in the land that is to be devided between him & John Carden and, I will that all the Stock of Horses & cattle be equally divided between my two son Isaac & John Carden after their Mothers Death and I will that my son Allen D. Carden have the roan mair that I lent to Daniel Wray my Son in law to ride to Kentucky or that the said Wray shal pay my son Allen D. Carden Eighty Dollars for the said Hors or mare.
- and I will that my son Robert Carden have 5 shillings sterling and no more account to be taken of him
- and I will that my son Joseph W. Carden have 5 shilling sterling and no more account to be taken of him.
- and I will my Daughter Nancy Reed have five Shillings Sterling and no more account to be taken of her.
- and I will that my Daughter Elizabeth Wray have five Shillings sterling and no more account to be taken of her.
- and I will that my Daughter Jane Walker have five Shillings Sterling and no more account to be taker of her.
- And lastly I constitute and appoint Jonathan Roach & Isaac Carden Executors ofthis my last will and testament hereby revoking and disannulling all others & former will or wills by me heretofore maid & declaaring this and this alone to be my last will & testament. Given under my hand & seal this second day of June 1817.
- (Signed) Joseph Carden [His Mark]
- signed Sealed & delivered as for my last will
- in presence of J.C.
- AD Carden
- John L. Carden
At a Court held for the County of Monroe the 21st day of April 1818.
This last will & testament of Joseph Carden dec'd was presented in Court & proved by both John Carden a subscribing witness there to & the same is Continued for futher proof
A copy Teste
John Hutchinson, jr D. Gne
- At a Court held for the County of Monroe the 21st day of July 1818.
- This last Will & Testament of Joseph Carden dec'd having been heretofore proven in part was now further proven by Allen D. Carden a subscribing witness thereto & same is ordered to be Recorded.
- A copy teste
- Jno Hutchinson, Jr.
- [Source: Monroe County [West] Virginia records].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
- Joseph is listed in Captains John Gilmore's Company in Rockbridge County, VA on 11 June 1779, with one white male tithable. In 1800, Joseph is listed in John Holloway's district in Botetourt County, VA., with one white male and 4 horses.
According to the Botetourt Court (Fincastle) land records, Joseph Carden was listed as living in Botetourt Co., VA. in 1803 (prior to 1803 there were no Cardens listed). He had 46 acres, located on Craig's Creek. In 1816, Joseph was still listed on the Botetourt Land Records.
In 1817 & 1818, his sons, Joseph, Allen, & Isaac were still listed in Botetourt Co., VA, but were now living in Monroe Co., VA. (Monroe Co., VA was formed partly out of Botetourt Co., VA.)