Facts and Events
John Thompson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Thompson's land (Borden SW, 100 acres, 1769) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: John Thompson's land was adjoining the tract acquired by his father, James Thompson from Robert Poage in 1748).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 14.--10th August, 1769. Same (From Borden's executors) to John Thompson, £7, 100 acres, part of 92100, corner said James Thompson, Robert Allison's line. Delivered to John Thompson, March, 1777.
Records of John Thompson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 428.--(1767) Processioners appointed, viz: Hugh Crockett and Isaac Taylor, from head of Roanoke to Fort Lewis. Edward Carvin and Nathaniel Evans, from Fort Lewis down on Waters of Roanoke. Thomas McFerran, James Moore, Jr., James Alcorn, Wm. Rolands, on waters of Cuttawba and James River on South Side. James Simpson, John Maxwell, John Mitchell, Jonathan Whitley, between Buffelow and James River. Joseph Lapsley, Wm. Hall, Wm. Paxton, Saml. McClure, John Gilmer, Jonathan Cunningham, between Buffelow and North River to the North Mountain. John Lyle, David Gray, Wm. Caruthers, John Paul, from North River to Beverley's Line on South Side of Burden's land road that leads to John Paxton's. William Kennady, Robt. Steel, Archibald Reach, William Reach, JOHN THOMPSON (James's son), Henry McClung, from North River to Beverley's Line between the Great Road to the Court House by Cap. McDowell's and to North Mountain. William McFeeters, Jr., George Berry, James Sawyers, Jr., William Bell, Jr., from Burden's line to the Road that goes from Staunton to Jenning's Gap on the North Side of Kennady's Road. (Note: this record shows that John Thompson was clearly an adult by 1767, and is likely the same John Thompson that acquired the 100-acre tract that was adjoining his father, James Thompson's tract, in 1769).