Capt. John Oliver, of Augusta and Bath County, VA
Facts and Events
Capt. John Oliver was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Land Records in Bath County, VA
- 1792 July 10 - John Oliver of Bath Co., Va of one part bought of William Bonner of same 97A in Bath on Waters of big Clear Spring a branch of Jackson River. Wit: Joel WALKER, Levi MOORE, Robert ARMSTRONG (Ref: SLC 30607 Bath Co., VA Deed Bk.1 (1791-1799) p.170)
- 1794 July 3 - John Oliver sells to Valentine WHITE both of Bath. (Co.) land in Bath, patented Nov. 25, 1793. (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk.1 p. 163)
- 1795 Sept. 4 - John Oliver, Nathaniel WILKINSON, & John Carter LITTLEPAGE sell to Charles SCOTT ticket #45 for a lott of 1/2 A in town of hott Bath (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p.239)
- 1796 26 Aug. - John Oliver of county of Bath & Agness, his wife of the one part & Nathaniel WILKINSON of county of Henrico of other part. Sd Nathaniel WILKINSON purchased of Thomas J. BULLIT & Thomas HARRISON being exec'rs of the Hon'ble Cuthbert BULLIT, dec'd 4, 718 A. of land in Warm Spring Valley in Bath co. 1,890 A part were patented in the name of John OLIVER for the benefit of the sd. Cuthbert BULLIT in his lifetime. Jno. OLIVER LS. Agness OLIVER LS. (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p. 306)
- 1798 Sept. 15 - Anthony MUSTOE & Dorothy, his wife & John Oliver & Agness, his wife of Bath co. of the one part & Robert YOUNG of Alexandria Fairfax, Commonweath of the other...land patented in the name of John Oliver & Lararus BARKLEY. A. MUSTOE. D. MUSTOE. Jno. Oliver.
- 1798 Dec. 31 - ...between John Oliver & his wife, Agness Oliver of Bath of of the one part & Samuel GAY of Bath...120 acres patented in the name of Thomas BULLITT dated 20 July 1768 in county of Bath - Prov. Feb. 1799 (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p. 521)
- 1799 Mar. 12 - John Oliver & Agness, his wife of Bath of one part & Anthony MUSTOE, Jr., son of Anthony MUSTOE, Sr. of Warm Springs, Bath county of the other part. John Oliver & Agness, his wife for $1 by Anthony MUSTOE, Jr. paid & in consideration that I had & did leave him the sd. Anthony MUSTOE Jr. a certain tract of land at my death by will & it not appearing pleasing to my wife, Agness, have revoked that will... give unto Anthony MUSTOE, Jr. another parcel....2640 acres.
- June court 1799 - Privy Ennunciation by Agness OliverR. Agness Oliver cannot conveniently travel to county court.
- June 11 1799 - Moses MANN & Wm. M. DEAN privately questioned Agness Oliver. (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p. 516)
- 1799 Dec. 4 Agnes OLIVER bought land (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 2 p. 298-301)
- 1799 Dec. Samuel GAY & Margaret his wife of Bath sell Agness Oliver - 50 acres, patent of Thomas BULLITT dated 27 June 1764 in Bath... (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 2 p. 303)
Estate Records of John Oliver in Bath County, VA
* 1799 Oct. 12 - John Oliver estate appraised (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p. 154)
- 1799 Oct. 21 - List of articles sold at public sale belonging to the estate of John Oliver, dec'd by Thomas Oliver, Adm'r (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk.1 p.160-164)
- 1800 Jan. 16 List of article sold at public auction belonging to the estate of John Oliver by Thomas Oliver ...Agness Oliver (long list) Moses MANN 6 books, 6 Walnut chairs; William OLIVER bought (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk.1 p.)
- 1802 May 11 Thomas Oliver, adm'r of estate of John Oliver (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p. 209)
- 1808 The estate of John OLIVER, dec'd ...long list of payments By Bank rec'd of Capt. William WHITE in Charlotte co., adm'r of Joseph OLIVER, dec'd. (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p. 356-7)
Records of John Oliver in Charlotte County, VA
- 1790 June 17 - John OLIVER of Augusta to Nathan ANDERSON, Jr. a lot in Hanover Town (Ref: W&M 22 (1) p. 170)
- 1790 July 17 Aggy OLIVER named as wife of John OLIVER of Augusta County, VA (Ref: Charlotte co., VA Deed Bk. 6 p.212)
Records of John Oliver in Augusta County, VA
- NOVEMBER 21, 1780. - (304) John Oliver recommended Captain, vice Samuel Vance, who has resigned.
- FEBRUARY 20, 1781. - (324) John Oliver qualified Captain.
- Vol. 2 - 1783--Page 1, Pensioners, (April), James Cunningham, John McKinney; (May), Margaret Wilson, John Yeager; Wm. Francis, John Dickinson; Jos. Maze, Benj. Blackburn; (October), James Cunningham; page 4, William Downey, infant; page 5, William Hutcheson, B. Battalion; page 7, Henry Miller, Iron Man; page 10, William Allen, North Mountain; page 19, Ann Seawright, infant; William Blair, N(aked) C(reek); page 22, John Brown, North Mountain; John Brown, Pastures; page 24, William Johnston, B. M.; page 25, Capt. Robert Bratton, Pastures; page 28, James Burnsides, Greenbrier; page 29, John Davis, B. Creek; Dr. John Jackson, Pennsylvania; page 30, Martha Gray, infant. Rob't Gray to pay; page 32, William Blair, Staunton; page 37, John Graham, C. Creek; page 38, James Brown, North Mountain; page 40, William McCafferty, North Carolina; page 41, Thomas Johnston, Spotsylvania; page 49, Capt. John Lewis, W. S.; page 51, John and Wm. Anderson, Fredericksburg; page 55, John Oliver. W. Spring.
- Vol. 2 - 1784 - 1784---Page 1, soldier's wife, Sarah Welch; pensioners, Alex. Martin, John O'Neal; page 3, John Oliver, W. S.; page 8, Henry Miller, Iron Man; page 18, James Bell, Amherst; page 25, John Brown, Pastures; page 32, Ann Warwick, infant; Robert Givens, infant; page 46, William Blair, B. Tavern; page 50, William Allen, North Mountain; page 52, William Downey, infant; page 69, James Anderson, farmer; page 70, John Brown, North Mountain; page 81, William Young, Pastures; page 87, William Wilson, Little; page 98, James Anderson, S. M.; page 101, John Oliver, W. S.; William Berry, son to Geo.; John Caldwell. C. C.; page 124, James Anderson, son John; page 134, Hugh Brown, Pastures; page 135, William Young, Pastures; page 141, William Young, B. Smith; page 148, Robert Reid, M. R.; page 149, Samuel Brown, near Staunton.
- MAY 19, 1785. - (79) Capt. John Oliver's claim of £4, 10/, for beef furnished the Militia on duty, is allowed.
- JULY 15, 1794. - (138) Depositions to be taken in contested election for Senator between David Stephenson and John Oliver.
- APRIL, 1795 (K to Z). - Anthony Mustoe vs. Thomas Lynn Lewis, Elizabeth Strother Lewis, Charles Augustus Lewis, John Banks Lewis. Writ of right, 26th June, 1793. Bath, 400 acres in Bath on Thompson's Mill Run, a branch of Cowpasture, surveyed for defendants, 29th September, 1792, by virtue of a location made 3d February, 1787, in name of John Lewis, for 400 acres. Plaintiff claims, by a survey of 1,000 acres, made January 10, 1793, by virtue of three locations, &c., viz: (1) 397-1/2 acres, by warrant, for 1,000 acres, No. 12,433 assignee of Charles Copeland; (2) 202-1/2 acres, by warrant, for 4,000 acres, No. 489, assignee John Oliver, assignee Zachariah Clarke; (3) 400 acres, by virtue two warrants (a) 140 acres, by warrant, for 500 acres, No. 12,600, assignee of George Clendennin, (b) 260 acres, by warrant, for 1,687-1/2, No. 12,095, assignee William Poage, assignee James Rucker, assignee Augustine Rucker. Locations for Mustoe at Warm Springs. Three cases.
- APRIL, 1795 (K to Z). - Anthony Mustoe vs. Andrew Moore--Case. Bath, 24th June, 1793. Spa. to Bath for James Kelso and Joel Walker. Spa. to Rockingham for William Millor and Samuel Brawford. Spa. to Bath for John White and John Oliver. Defendant said: "I have every reason to suspect Anthony Mustoe for stealing from me the sum of £10 in two parcels, which I had for the purpose of carrying to Richmond, and if he had got his deserts in London or been drowned in the sea and the rocks of damnation laid on him," &c.
- SEPTEMBER, 1799 (M to G). - John Oliver vs. Samuel Merrit and Anthony Mustoe--Debt. Writ to Augusta, 25th August, 1798. Merrit not found. Mustoe no inhabitant.
- SEPTEMBER, 1799 (M to G). - Nathaniel Wilkeson vs. John Oliver--Covenant, Writ to Bath, 2d September, 1796.
- APRIL, 1805--(A to G). - Thomas Edington & Agnes, who was widow of Jno. Oliver, vs. Benj. Thompson, Miles King, Robert Douthat. Bath Co. Wr. Dower.
- Vol. 1 - COUNTY COURT CHANCERY DECREES DECIDED. 1823, 1824, 1825 (I to N). - John E. McClanahan vs. John Carter Littlepage, Nathaniel Wilkinson, John Oliver.--Involves a lot in town to be laid off at Hot Springs.
- Vol. 2 - CIRCUIT COURT CAUSES ENDED. - John Carter Littlepage vs. John Oliver's Admrs.--O. S. 169--N. S. 59. Involves transactions at Hot Springs. Jno. Oliver died 1799, leaving wife but no issue. William Oliver, a brother, a sister (wife of Thomas Oliver) and another brother, decd. (Note: since John Oliver's supposed father, John, died bef. 20 Dec. 1791, this John Oliver clearly died before 1799 (as stated above). It also establishes a brother, William, a sister (not named) wife of Thomas Oliver and the other brother that deceased is most likely James Oliver who is already proven as a son of John Oliver, Sr.)
- vol. 2 - CIRCUIT COURT CAUSES ENDED. - John Strother and Joseph Thompson vs. John Oliver's heirs--O. S. 40; N. S. 14--Bill filed 25th August, 1803. On ____ plaintiffs had a tract surveyed in Falling Spring Valley and shortly afterwards John Strother went to Georgia . John Oliver, now deceased, was agent for the heirs of Col. Bullet. There had been surveys for Jeremiah Seeley, who had assigned them to Francis McAndrew, who by common report, died in our army during the Revolution, leaving a will. He disappeared and has never been heard from since. Power of attorney, 8th August, 1781, by Francis McAndrew to John Dickinson to collect his debts, &c., in case he does not return from his tower of duty. Deed 10th July, 1792, John Oliver to William Bonner, recorded in Bath, July, 1792. Jeremiah Seeley's survey was dated 1773. Francis McAndrew died before peace between U. S. and England. Adam Kimberland, Senr., is about to remove from State, 5th October, 1803. Joel Walker, ditto, 5th July, 1803. Heirs of John Oliver are Thomas Oliver and ____ his wife, late ____. Wm. Oliver, heir of Joseph Oliver, deceased, representatives of John Oliver, deceased, and Thomas Edington and Agnes, his wife, late widow of John Oliver.
Records of John Oliver in Bath County, VA
(Note: Bath County was formed from Augusta, Botetourt and Greenbrier Counties in 1791)
- 1791 June 15 1st - This day Samuel Cowan & John Oliver, Gentl. gave the oath before me required by Law as commissioners of Tax for this aforesaid county. given under my hand this 15 June 1791 (signed) Jno. WHITE. (Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1)
- 1791 July Court - The above certificate from John WHITE, Esq.(document of June 15, 1791) was presented in Court by Samuel H/CARRIS & John Oliver, Esqr. ordered to be recorded. (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. p. 7)
- 1791 June 15 - John Oliver Tax Commissioner (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p.1)
- 1791 Dec. 15 - Bath county (to wit) the 15 Dec. 1791 persuant to a writ directed to the Sheriff of sd. county was a poll opened for the election of a Senator in the Room of Samp MATHEWS, whose Seat was vacated at the House of Margaret LEWIS the usual place of Holding Court & after having advertised & proclamation being made at the Door proceeded to take the following poll (There were 24 candidates of whom John Oliver & Moses Mann were two.) John Oliver had the most votes. (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 2 pages 1 thru 100 (1791-1804))
- 1793 Feb. 12 - ...We, John OLIVER & Moses MANN are held & bound to....J.P.s of county court of Bath. Edward CRUTCHFIELD, infant of Fortune CRUTCHFIELD, dec'd. John Oliver, guardian. Moses MANN, sec. (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p. 24)
- 1793 July 9 - John Oliver - John WHITE both of Bath Co., VA (Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p. 115)
- 1795 Jan. 13 - Bond for guardianship signed by John Oliver...Elizabeth MANN to be guardian of William Thomas MANN, infant of Thomas MANN, dec'd. (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. I p. 47)
- 1796 26 Aug. - John OLIVER of county of Bath & Agness, his wife of the one part & Nathaniel WILKINSON of county of Henrico of other part. Sd Nathaniel WILKINSON purchased of Thomas J. BULLIT & Thomas HARRISON being exec'rs of the Hon'ble Cuthbert BULLIT, dec'd 4, 718 A. of land in Warm Spring Valley in Bath co. 1,890 A part were patented in the name of John OLIVER for the benefit of the sd. Cuthbert BULLIT in his lifetime. Jno. OLIVER LS Agness OLIVER LS [Ref: Bath co., VA Deed. Bk. 1 p. 306]
- 1797 Sept. 12 - Know all men by these present John Oliver is bound to James WOOD, Gov. of VA for $30,000...app't Sheriff of Bath co. Sec: John BROWN, William CHAMBEES & Anthony MUSTOE. (Ref: Bath co., VA Will Bk. 1 p. 100)
- 1801 Mar. 26 Thomas EDINGTON & Agnes OLIVER. Sur: Charles KIRKPATRICK. Agnes consents herself. Wit: Charles KIRKPATRICK & George GUTHRIE (Ref: Bath co., VA Bonds & Minister Returns 1791-.) (Agnes remarried after John Oliver's death).
Help fund new features!