John O'Neal, of Muddy Creek
Facts and Events
There are 2 vital records available on MyHeritage for John O'Neal, of Muddy Creek, including birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate.
Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence.
Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives.
For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
See all vital records for John O'Neal, of Muddy Creek
John O'Neal was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Early Land Survey:
- John O'Nale, assignee of Mrs. Cumberland, no warrant, date of survey - 31 May 1749 - 23 Oct. 1749; 502 acres on North River of Shannondoah where widow Cumberland lived (now John O'Nale); adj. Patrick Grimes. Chain Carriers - Daniel Holeman & Patrick Grimes. William Carroll present. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 13].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- 1749-50, March 2d--John O'Neal, 50 (acres), on Muddy Creek, joining Wood's land, with one right; 200 (acres) at the Great Spring, joining Wood's and Oliver's, with four rights; 300 (acres) joining Wood's and Robt. Caldwell's land, Muddy Creek, six rights.
- G-370: John O'Neal(Nale) of Augusta County, 502 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrn. On North River Shannondoah, adj. Lord Fairfax. 14 July 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 41]. [Note: this is the same tract surveyed in 1749, listed above]
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's: (sold by John O'Neal's son Thomas)
- Page 10.--29th March, 1762. Thomas Neal (O'Neal, Peel) to John Hamilton, £30, tract between Thomas Gordon and John Megery that John Neel formerly lived on, now the property of Thomas Neal, his only son. Mortgage.
- Page 772.--4th September, 1764. Thomas O'Neal to Archibald (Ersbald) Hopkins, £4, 27 acres on a branch of Muddy Creek; corner Wood's land. Teste: Ephraim Love, Jno. Hopkins, Geo. Baxter.
- Page 171.--17th November, 1756. David Stuart's bond (with John Madison and James Lockhart) as administrator of John O'Neal.
- Page 185.--16th March, 1757. John Hinton's bond (with Daniel Harrison, Sampson Archer) as guardian (chosen) to Thomas O'Neal (aged 16), orphan of John O'Neal.
- Page 198.--18th August, 1757. John O'Neal's appraisement by Ephraim Love, Thomas Gordon, Daniel Love.
- Page 201.--21st June, 1757. John O'Neal's additional appraisement, by same as before.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Robert Colville, 23 Sept. 1749 - 23 Oct. 1749; 405 acres on South side of Patrick Grimes; adj. Valentine Sevier. Chain Carriers - William Carrol & John O'Nele [sic, s/b O/Neal]. Daniel Holeman present on survey. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 22]. [Note: based upon the locations of other early settlers listed in this record, this survey appears to be on the north branch of the Shenandoah River].
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (569) John O'Neal and his son, Thomas, presented for larceny.
- Page 130.--5th December, 1754. Appraisement of Richard Tictom, in the Gap of the North Mountain upon Sorondo, sold by Daniel Love, 5th December, 1754 To James Bagge, Jacob Richards, Nicholas Mase, Uriah Humble, Ephraim Love (part of a tramble), Daniel Love, Wm. Pickins, John Davis, Howel Jones, Jacob Bear. Robert Denton, John O'Neal, John Miller, Edward Megary, Mathew Waters, James Bryant, Jacob Sword, Robert Williams, William Carrill, Thomas Wast, Zephli Joseph, Mathew Waters. Joseph Zrepbli, Andrew Seduskay, Charles Witman, Abraham Bird, Nicholas Custert. Arnold Custard, Jacob Richards, James Claypole.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 24, 1756. (279) Alexr. Mathewson, suit abates by his death. John O'Neal, suit abates by his death.
- Page 451.--14th June, 1757. John Taylor and Esther ( ) to Thomas Gordon, £20, 120 acres cor. Wood's and Green's land on head Muddy Creek; cor. Jno. O'Neal's land. Teste: Geo. Bigham, Elijah Clery. Delivered: Thos. Gordon, April, 1771.
- Page 57.--19th November, 1770. James Green and Mary ( ) to Benjamin Kinley, £80, 260 acres on a branch of Muddy Creek, near John O'Neal's lands. Harrison's lands. Teste: John Hinton, Michael Waren. John Gordon. Delivered: Benj. Kinley, 21st September, 1771.
- Page 110.--25th November, 1772. Robert Hill, only son and heir apparent at law to the estate of Jonson Hill, deceased, to Abraham Smith, joining a survey formerly John O'Neal's; two tracts on Dry River, patented to Jonson Hill. Teste: Henry Black, Jared Erwine, Samuel Dunn, John Reynolds.
- Page 472.--21st July, 1773. John Hamilton, late of Augusta, to Thomas O'Neal, surrender of mortgage and quit claim, tract surveyed for John O'Neal, deceased, under the North Mountain, which descended to Thomas as only son of John. Teste: John McClenachan, William Elliott, Margaret ( ) Elliott.
- 1749 5/2/1749 VIRGINIA Augusta John O'Neal, 50 acres, on Muddy Creek, joining Wood's land
- 11/30/1750 VIRGINIA Augusta Patrick Savage, 50, joining Wood's, O'Neal's, and Dry River, with one right
- 2/14/1756 VIRGINIA Augusta John O'Neal, tried for speaking treasonable words, acquitted, but committed for abusing the Government and cursing the Bible.
- 11/17/1756 VIRGINIA Augusta David Stuart's bond (with John Madison and James Lockhart) as administrator of John O'Neal.
- 3/16/1757 VIRGINIA Augusta John Hinton's bond (with Daniel Harrison, Sampson Archer) as guardian (chosen) to Thomas O'Neal (aged 16), orphan of John O'Neal
- 6/21/1757 VIRGINIA Augusta John O'Neal's additional appraisement, by same as before.
- 11/18/1756 VIRGINIA Augusta Mary, widow of John O'Neal, refuses to admr. Thomas Moore, with one other, added to tithables.
- 3/29/1762 VIRGINIA Augusta Thomas Neal (O'Neal, Peel) to John Hamilton, £30, tract between Thomas Gordon and John Megery that John Neel formerly lived on, now the property of Thomas Neal, his only son. Mortgage.
- [Source: http://www.onealwebsite.com/virginia.htm].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).