Facts and Events
John McDowell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Not to be confused with Maj. John McDowell (1757-1835), son of Samuel McDowell and Mary McClung.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1788--August 13, John McDowell and Griffith Evans, of Staunton surety. John McDowell and Sarah Withro, daughter of Wm. Withrow. Consent for daughter Sarah signed by Robert Withrow, of Mossy Creek.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Record - 1788, August 16th--By Rev. Benj. Erwin: John McDowell and Sarah Withrow.
Records in Kentucky
- “Early Settlers in Lawrence Co., Ky.”, John McDowell at McDowell’s Camp 1794.
- March 29, 1814, Floyd Co., Ky. John McDowell to help mark road from Blain to Greenup Co., Ky, ‘by Wells.’
- First Tax list of Lawrence Co., Ky. John McDowell; John McDowell, Sr.; and William McDowell
- 1830 Lawrence Co., Census: McDole: John Jr. #335, John Sr. #334, William #336.
- 1840 Lawrence Co., Census: J (John) McDowell. 0000000001-0000000001, Sarah and John over 70, under 80.
- 1830 Census of Lawrence Co., Ky. Griffith Abel, David, Evins, James, James Jr., Robert
- 1830 Census of Lawrence Co., Ky. Withrow, John, John Jr., William
- 1830 Census of Lawrence Co., Ky. McDole, John Jr., John Sr. William
- ↑ http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/w/e/l/Lreonard-H-Wellman/GENE5-0030.html#CHILD118030595
- Riley McDowell’s father William McDowell’s (m. to Susanna Skaggs) father is not John b. 1757, son of Samuel “the prominate Judge”.