Facts and Events
||to Leah McKeachy
John Mason was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of John Mason in Orange County, VA
(may be a record of this John Mason)
- John Younger, mariner, vs. Samuel Ball - promissory note of Samuell Ball, 12 Dec. 1734, to John Mason for 1600 pounds of tobacco in some warehouse on Rappahannock River, to by paid by 10 December next. Dated Spotsylvania County. Wit: David Kinkead, Robert Green. Endorsed: "Timothy Fargin still indebted the Ball. for two servants 328 lbs. tobo." Assigned by Mason to Younger. Summons to Samuel Ball, 16 Sept. , executed 8 Oct. 1735 by Wm. Henderson. Order to Sherriff of Spotsylvania County to summon John Thornton and Joseph Cook on behalf of Samuel Ball, 20 Jan. ; returned executed by Joseph Thomas, Sheriff. Jury finds for the defendant; Benja. Porter, foreman. [Orange County Virginia Judgements - 1736, Dorman, pg. 72].
Records of John Mason in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
- Page 155.--17th May, 1749. James Robinson's inventory and appraisement by Ephraim Vause, John Meason, Richard Hall.
- Page 225.--21st December, 1749. Charles Hungate's appraisement, by John Mason, Tasker Tosh, Wm. Armstrong.
- Page 266.--27th December, 1749. Simon Acres' appraisement, by Erwm Patterson, Joseph Robinson, John Meson.
- Page 297.--26th February, 1750. John Mason and James McKachey's (Keachey) bond as administrators of Wm. Alexander, with Erwin Patterson and Joseph Love.
- Vol. 2 - Page 84.--26th November, 1751: Orphan Geo. Alexander bound to John Maison.
- Vol. 2 - Page 85.--26th November, 1751: Orphan Mary Alexander bound to John Maison.
- Page 154.--18th August, 1766 (s/b 1756). John Meason's (Mason) bond (with William and John Robertson) as administrator of Joseph Cummings.
- Page 307.--3d December, 1757. Vendue held at Michael Stump's, on South Fork in Hampshire County, by Anthonv Reager, Peter Thorn, administrators of Christian Dousher--To Peter Heath, Thos. Crawford, Tobias Thorn, Michael Oxer, Lazarus Thorn, Philip Moore, Jr., Jno. Welton, Henry Couchman, Simon Hornback, Philpole Yeokham, Abraham Wise, Jno. Cock, Adam Rutherback, Harmus Hook, Conrad Moore, Thomas Singleton, Martin Job, James Hornback, Adam Harpole, Jonathan Coburn, Leonard Knave, Thos. Parsons, Sr., Nicholas Smith, Gaisper Reed, Michael Earsest, Sr., James Taff, Henry Miars, Ruda Bozard, Wm. Jennings, Jno. Varrill, James Parsons. Solom Hedges, Windle Miller, Peter Hive, Henry Shipler, Peter Andrew, Stophel Hoofman, Thos. Crawford, Benj. Scott, Andrew Byarly, Mary Smith, Henry Mook, Philip Hupp, John Mason.
- Page 840.--21st March, 1765. John Robertson and Mary to Thomas Tosh, £40, 560 acres on Mason's Creek, branch of Roanoke; corner John Mason's land. Teste: Alex. Stuart, James Lessley. Delivered: Jas. Crawford, June,1769.
Information on John Mason
John Mason: Born about 1699; Died 12 October 1760, Augusta, Virginia; Married Mary (Mason): Born about 1703. Sources: LDS Records. (Note: John Mason, Sr. did NOT die in 1760, the John Mason who wrote his will on 12 October 1760 was John Mason, Jr., this John Mason's son. This John Mason out-lived his son, but the exact date of his death is unknown).