Facts and Events
John Lynn was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Lynn Sr.'s land (Beverley Manor NW, 320 acres, 1749) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note that land of John Lynn, Jr. is adjoining this tract to the southeast.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- John Lynn, Sr. acquired "Tract No. 15", (listed as 320 acres on Hildebrand Map, but more likely it is 300 acres, as listed in the disposition in Chalkley's in 1752, below) in "Beverley Manor" from William Beverley in 1749, as listed on the Hildebrand Map, shown above.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 336.--17th June, 1752. John Lynn and Margaret to John Black, planter, tract No. 15 by Beverley to Lynn, 300 acres in Beverley Manor. Teste: John Blackley, Jno. Ramsey.
Note: Coincidentally, on 17 January, 1753, John Lynn (apparently John Lynn, Jr.) and Naomi gave a deed for twelve acres of land, more or less, on James Cathey's line, in Anson County, NC, "to a congregation belonging to ye Lower Meeting House, between the Atking River and ye Catabo Do., adhering to a minister licensed from a Presbytery belonging to the Old Synod of Philadelphia.", (A History of Rowan County, North Carolina, by Jethro Rumple, pg. 261)
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Augusta County, Virginia Records:
- May 12, 1746 - John Lynn, same vice George Colville.
- August 20, 1746. - (73) William Thompson to be overseer from Court Ho. to Tinkling Spring, already viewed, with these tithables: John Lynn and his three sons, John Henderson, John Ramsey, John Preston, Wm. Palmer, David Stuart, James Coile, Joseph McClelhill, Alexr. Thompson, John Mitchell, John Hutchison, Andrew Russell, Geo. Caldwell and his two sons.
- September 18, 1746. - (112) John Lynn, Jr. — witness for John Lynn.
- Page 280.--30th November, 1750. John Lynn (Linn), Jr.'s, bond as guardian of Sarah Bennett, orphan of Richard Bennett, with surety John Lynn, Sr., Jas. McCorkle. Sarah chose her guardian.
- June 11, 1751—August 27, 1751. - (176) This book begins August 1749, but there are no orders but those of suits and actions until August 27, 1751, when a new Court was organized under a commission from the Hon. Lewis Burwell, President of Virginia, dated llth June, 1751, directed to James Patton, Peter Scholl,* Robert Cunningham, Wm. Jameson, David Stuart,* John Lynn,* Erwin Patterson,* Thos. English, Benj. Borden,* Joseph Kenady, John Denton. Wm. Christian, Robert Breckinridge, John Lewis,* Silas Hart, Andw. Lewis,* James Rutledge, Alexr. Wright, Ro. McClenahan,* Robert Campbell, John Wilson, Richd. Burton, Patr. Martin, James Lockhart, John Mills, Ro. Ramsey, Richd. Woods, John Anderson, John Ruddle, Thos. Stuart, John Lyle, John Buchanan, Thomas Lewis, Archd. Alexander, John Mathews, Adam Dick- enson, Mathias Seltzer, Wm. Harbeson. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- NOVEMBER, 1751. - Glisterpipe vs. Glisterpipe, alias, Irish Doctor William Lynn of Fredericksburg, vs. Irish Doctor John Lynn, of Augusta.--Now here is Potts ye peddlars. Irish upon Irish.
- June 17, 1752 - see Chalkley, above.
- August and part November, 1752. "Wright vs. Linn.--Dr. John Linn had left the County, 1752." Source: Chalkley's "Chronicles", Vol. I, p. 307
Information on John Lynn, Sr.
From "Carolina Cradle" By Robert W. Ramsey, pg. 60:
John, Andrew and James Lynn (Linn) were originally inhabitants of Talbot or Queen Anne County, Maryland. John Lynn (probably a relative) was in the Shenandoah valley before 1746, on a tract of land located between the Augusta County Courthouse and Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church. James Lynn (designated as "architectus") appears on record there in August, 1747, and Andrew Lynn there three years later.
John Lynn went to North Carolina in 1751 and bought 312 acres from George Cathey in February of the following year. This transaction was a rather significant one, because Lynn sold twelve of these acres early in 1753 to a "Congregation known by the Congregation belonging to ye Lower Meeting House between the Yadkin River and the Catawba River adherring to a MInister licensed from a Presbytery belonging to the old Synod of Philadelphia". This was the origin of the Thyatira Presbyterian Church. It is possible that James and Andrew accompanied John Lynn to Carolina in 1751, for both obtained land there in the spring of 1753. In any event, both John and Andrew Lynn proceeded to the "Waxhaw Settlement" where Andrew died before the spring of 1762.
- From "This World of Toil and Strife: Land, Labor, and the Making of an American Community, 1750-1805", by Peter Nathaniel Moore:
- The Irish Settlement in western North Carolina was another key source of Waxhaws immigrants. Henry White moved there from Pennsylvania in 1749, only to sell out again and push down into the Waxhaw settlement in 1752. His father Hugh and his brother John had both joined him by 1758. John, James, and Andrew Linn had a similarly brief sojourn. Moving from western Maryland into the Shendandoah Valley in 1746-7, the Linns were in the Irish Settlement in 1752 and the Waxhaws by 1753.