Facts and Events
John Logan was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Logan's land (2 adjoining Tract in Borden Tract NE: 1) 262 acres patented in 1753, 2) 195 acres patented in 1755) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 178.--15th February, 1753. Borden, etc., to John Logan, 262 acres of 92100, 1753. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek of James; corner Joseph Kennedy and John Hanley; McNut's land, his old survey; Thomas Beard's line.
- Page 523.--12th March, 1755. Borden's executors to John Logan, £5.15.0. 195 acres part of 92,100; Thos. Baird's line; John Logan' sold survey; McNut's line; Wm. Berry's line; corner to land Joseph Kendy purchased of James Trimble; John Fulton's line.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 526.--19th March, 1755. John Logan, farmer, to Alexander Logan, his son paternal love, &c., and £10, 237 acres in Borden's tract on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek of James River; corner McNutt s land; Wm. Berry's line; corner Capt. Joseph Kennedy; Thomas Baird's corner. Livery, &c. Delivered: Alexander McNut, September, 1765.
Will of John Logan
- Page 43.--3d January, 1778. John Loggan's will--To son, John; to son, Samuel; to son, William; to son, Robert; to son, Joseph; to daughter, Sarah; to wife; to daughter, Mary; to son, Alexander; to son, Jame. Executors, wife and Mathew Huston. Teste: Robert Kenkead, Samuel Huston, Geo. Weir. Proved, 19th May, 1778, by Weir, and 18th August, by Huston. Mary qualifies.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1778. - (290) Will of John Logan partly proved.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1778. - (342) Margaret, widow of John Logan, qualified admx.
- Page 46.--17th October, 1778. John Logan's estate appraised by John McKemy, Robt. McNutt, James Montgomery, David Rusel.
Records of John Logan in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 331.--21st August, 1754. Joseph Kennedy (his mark), Gent., and Elizabeth, to Samuel Buchanan, James Walker, Robert Reagh, John Logan, Alexander Miller and William Kennedy, trustees appointed and chosen by the Presbyterian Congregation of New Providence in Augusta County for and on behalf of themselves and the rest of the said Congregation and their successors adherents to the Squad of New York of the other part. Consideration: The sincere regard, good will and affectionate love which he beareth unto the said Congregation, and with an eye to encourage the worshipers of the most Blessed and Glorious Trinity, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who is God over all, and Blessed forever, Amen; and for and in consideration of the sum of six pence sterling; for public use and benefit of the said Congregation for a Presbyterian Meeting House to worship Almighty God in and for a burying place and graveyard to them and such as shall hereafter joyn with them the said Congregation of New Providence a certain moiety piece or parcel of land whereon the said Congregation hath already began to prepare and build a meeting house containing 3 A., 1 R., 27 P., on west side Moffet's Creek in Borden's tract; said Kennedy's and Francis McCown's line being a line of land now in possession of Andrew Duncan. Delivered to Samuel Buchanan, 21st June, 1758.
- Page 74.--9th September, 1754. John Wilson's appraisement, by Saml. Buchanan, Andrew Duncan, John Logan (Loggan).
- Page 137.--17th March, 1756. Wm. Edmondson's bond as guardian (chosen) to James Hays, orphan of Geo. Hays; Andrew Steel, John Loggan, sureties.
- Page 176.--12th August, 1762. William Wardlaw's estate appraised by Andrew Steel, Jno. Logan, Jno. Moore.
- Page 289.--16th April, 1763. James Greenlee's estate appraised, by Saml.McDowell, Jno. McClung, Jas. McDowell--Negro slaves; Robt. Brownfield's note, Robt. Telford's note, Geo. Seaton's note, David Griffey's note, Lewis Morgan's note, Jno. Logan's note, Jno. Skilton's note, Robt. Bradshaw's note; debt vs. Thos. Cottrel. Insolvent notes of Lawrence Moiren, Joseph and Robt. Tarr, Ezekiel Clements, Jno. Ross, Thos. Taylor, Lawrence Moiren, Patrick Downing, Wm. Centern.
- Page 318.--21st March, 1764. Thos. James' appraisement (by Jno. Logan, Wm. Kennedy, Saml. Steel). Recorded.
- Page 404.--15th June, 1765. Thomas Jones' estate appraised, by Jno. Logan, Wm. Kennedy, Saml. Steel.
- Page 201 - John McClure, 300 acres, North River. Adjoining Hugh Duglass, John Logan, John McGill, William Herron, Morris. Mentioned that the line runs to the mouth of Dry River. July 14, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
- Page 50.--4th November, 1791. John Login, of Augusta, to Archibald Henderson, of Rockbridge, 52 acres adjoining land formerly John Login's, deceased, purchased by said John of David Russell.
Help fund new features!