Facts and Events
John Logan was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 523.--12th March, 1755. Borden's executors to John Logan, £5.15.0. 195 acres part of 92,100; Thos. Baird's line; John Logan'sold survey; McNut's line; Wm. Berry's line; corner to land Joseph Kendy purchased of James Trimble; John Fulton's line.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 526.--19th March, 1755. John Logan, farmer, to Alexander Logan, his son paternal love, &c., and £10, 237 acres in Borden's tract on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek of James River; corner McNutt s land; Wm. Berry's line; corner Capt. Joseph Kennedy; Thomas Baird's corner. Livery, &c. Delivered: Alexander McNut, September, 1765.
Will of John Logan
- Page 43.--3d January, 1778. John Loggan's will--To son, John; to son, Samuel; to son, William; to son, Robert; to son, Joseph; to daughter, Sarah; to wife; to daughter, Mary; to son, Alexander; to son, Jame. Executors, wife and Mathew Huston. Teste: Robert Kenkead, Samuel Huston, Geo. Weir. Proved, 19th May, 1778, by Weir, and 18th August, by Huston. Mary qualifies.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1778. - (290) Will of John Logan partly proved.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1778. - (342) Margaret, widow of John Logan, qualified admx.
- Page 46.--17th October, 1778. John Logan's estate appraised by John McKemy, Robt. McNutt, James Montgomery, David Rusel.
Records of John Logan in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 74.--9th September, 1754. John Wilson's appraisement, by Saml. Buchanan, Andrew Duncan, John Logan (Loggan).
- Page 137.--17th March, 1756. Wm. Edmondson's bond as guardian (chosen) to James Hays, orphan of Geo. Hays; Andrew Steel, John Loggan, sureties.
- Page 176.--12th August, 1762. William Wardlaw's estate appraised by Andrew Steel, Jno. Logan, Jno. Moore.
- Page 289.--16th April, 1763. James Greenlee's estate appraised, by Saml.McDowell, Jno. McClung, Jas. McDowell--Negro slaves; Robt. Brownfield's note, Robt. Telford's note, Geo. Seaton's note, David Griffey's note, Lewis Morgan's note, Jno. Logan's note, Jno. Skilton's note, Robt. Bradshaw's note; debt vs. Thos. Cottrel. Insolvent notes of Lawrence Moiren, Joseph and Robt. Tarr, Ezekiel Clements, Jno. Ross, Thos. Taylor, Lawrence Moiren, Patrick Downing, Wm. Centern.
- Page 318.--21st March, 1764. Thos. James' appraisement (by Jno. Logan, Wm. Kennedy, Saml. Steel). Recorded.
- Page 404.--15th June, 1765. Thomas Jones' estate appraised, by Jno. Logan, Wm. Kennedy, Saml. Steel.
- Page 201 - John McClure, 300 acres, North River. Adjoining Hugh Duglass, John Logan, John McGill, William Herron, Morris. Mentioned that the line runs to the mouth of Dry River. July 14, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
- Page 50.--4th November, 1791. John Login, of Augusta, to Archibald Henderson, of Rockbridge, 52 acres adjoining land formerly John Login's, deceased, purchased by said John of David Russell.