Facts and Events
John Jones was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 202.--10th October, 1749. William Magill's will--Wife, Margaret, and her son, David Gass; sons, James and William, adjoining Charles Campbell; son, John; grandchild, James' son; daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, Robert Cravens, Hugh Campbell. Signed William Magill, Margaret. Page 280.--15th November, 1758. Accounts against estate of William Magill paid by Hugh Campbell and Robt. Cravens. Legacies paid, viz: To James, John, William, Margaret McGill, Hugh Campbell, John Jones, Robert Dickson, John Berry, Ro. Fouller (to each of these £9, 1, 6). Magill. Teste: Andrew Erwin, Charles Campbell. Proved, 29th November, 1749, when Margaret renounced the will.
- Page 222--28th December, 1749. William Magill's appraisement, by John Seawright, John Erwin, Charles Campbell. Cash by Hugh Dover and Hugh Ross. (Note: John Jones was the son-in-law of William Magill/McGill),
- Vol. 1 - 1749-50 - page 126, Eleanor Berry, now wife of John Jones, (May), Recording Berry's Inventory.
- AUGUST 29, 1751. (187) James Berry, guardian of John Berry, orphan of James Berry, complains of John Jones, in whose custody the orphan is, that he abuses him.
- NOVEMBER 30, 1751. (225) James Berry, guardian of the orphans of James Berry, decd., complains that 'John Jones', who married the widow of James Berry, is wasting the estate.
Help fund new features!