Facts and Events
John Jones was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 202.--10th October, 1749. William Magill's will--Wife, Margaret, and her son, David Gass; sons, James and William, adjoining Charles Campbell; son, John; grandchild, James' son; daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, Robert Cravens, Hugh Campbell. Signed William Magill, Margaret. Page 280.--15th November, 1758. Accounts against estate of William Magill paid by Hugh Campbell and Robt. Cravens. Legacies paid, viz: To James, John, William, Margaret McGill, Hugh Campbell, John Jones, Robert Dickson, John Berry, Ro. Fouller (to each of these £9, 1, 6). Magill. Teste: Andrew Erwin, Charles Campbell. Proved, 29th November, 1749, when Margaret renounced the will.
- Page 222--28th December, 1749. William Magill's appraisement, by John Seawright, John Erwin, Charles Campbell. Cash by Hugh Dover and Hugh Ross. (Note: John Jones was the son-in-law of William Magill/McGill),
- Vol. 1 - 1749-50 - page 126, Eleanor Berry, now wife of John Jones, (May), Recording Berry's Inventory.
- AUGUST 29, 1751. (187) James Berry, guardian of John Berry, orphan of James Berry, complains of John Jones, in whose custody the orphan is, that he abuses him.
- NOVEMBER 30, 1751. (225) James Berry, guardian of the orphans of James Berry, decd., complains that 'John Jones', who married the widow of James Berry, is wasting the estate.