Facts and Events
John Harper was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 132.--16th November, 1779. John McMahon and Deborah ( ) to Jno. Harper. Patented to Robert McMahon, 12th May, 1759, whereon said Harper now lives. (Note: seems only fitting that John Harper receive land that was originally patented to the man that killed his wife's first husband...).
Records of John Harper in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 26.--14th May, 1778. Edward (mark) Warner's bill--To wife and daughter, Marthew, all estate. Executors, John Poage and John Burnside. Teste: John Harper, Marthia Burnside, Jacob Campbell. Proved, 19th May, 1778, by John Harper and Campbell, and 21st May, 1778. Executors qualify.
- Page 27.--19th May, 1778. Nathan (mark) Reagland's will--To son, John, "the fore neagros left me--my grandfather"; to daughter, Rebecca; to wife, Sackey. Executors, John Poage, James Allen, Jr. Proved, 19th May, 1778, by John Harper and Matthew Burnsides. Teste: Above witnesses and Wm. Hook.
- Page 42.--18th August, 1778. Recorded. Edward Warner's appraisement by John McMahon, William Black, John Harper.
- Page 460.--9th May, 1778. Nathan Reagland's will--To son, John, 1/2 of the 4 negroes left him by his grandfather; to daughter, Rachel; to wife, Susania. Executors, John Poage and James Allen, Jr. Teste: John Harper, Wm. Hook, Mathew Burnside. Proved, 19th April, 1785, by Mathew Burnside, and 17th May, 1785, by John Harper.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1785--March 19, Samuel Samuels and Margaret Reyburn, step-daughter of John Harper; surety, Hugh Brown.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 17, 1785. - (21) Sarah Hatfield, daughter of Hannah Hatfield, to be bound to John Harper.
- Page 191.--19th January, 1790. Recorded. James Blear's appraisement by Henry King. Thomas Frame, John Harper, Jacob Sheets--28th April, 1789. Samuel Brawford's estate appraised by John Sterling, James Shields, Samuel Hays.
- Vol. 2 - DISTRICT COURT JUDGMENTS. - SEPTEMBER, 1790 (H to Z) - John Harper vs. Joseph McCawley, John Robinson and Frederick Myers--Slander. Writ, September, 1789, to Rockingham.