Facts and Events
John Gatty was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Gatty, John - Will probate April 1801.
- Names brothers Dennis, Jerry, Jeremiah.
- A sister, Bridget, and two other sisters in Ireland. Names not given.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 55].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Dennis Getty, of Botetourt, vs. Madison's Executors--O. S. 359; N. S. 130--Bill, 1820, that ____ years ago Dennis Getty, orator's uncle, emigrated from Ireland to Botetourt County, where he died unmarried, intestate, without issue, leaving heirs, viz: Orator, orator's brothers and sisters--Jeremiah, John, Bridget, Mary, Catherine--all at uncle's death living in Ireland, but orator and brothers came to America. Thomas Madison was appointed administrator and appraisement was returned 1st June, 1779. John Getty is dead, unmarried, intestate, without issue; Mary and Catherine still live in Ireland. Bridget came to America and married John Griffith, but they live in parts unknown to orator out of Commonwealth. Dennis Getty, Sr., died 1779; Thomas Madison died February, 1798. Power of attorney by Bridget, Mary, and Catherine Getty, whereas Dennis Getty, who, in his younger years, lived in Parish of Roy, County of Donegal, Ireland, went abroad many years ago to America, and died there, leaving Jeremiah, John, Dennis, Bridget, Mary, and Catherine, all of Agahgeddy, Parish of Lully Aghnish, in Ireland; his nephews and nieces children of Charles Getty. Dated 2d March, 1793.