Facts and Events
John Gay was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of John Gay
- Page 361.--6th December, 1759. Jno. Gay's will--To son Henry Gay (infant), part of 347 acres promised to John by his (testator's) father, Henry Gay; to wife, Mary Gay; to father. Henry Gay, all wearing apparel; to be educated in reading and writing (this must refer to son Henry). Executor, father Henry. Teste: Arthur Hamilton, Fras. McDonald, Nathanl. Davis. Proved, 20th May, 1760, by the witnesses. Executor qualified (his "H" mark), with Francis McDonald, James Lockhart.
- MAY 20, 1760. - (348) Mary Gay, widow of John Gay, renounces the will, and agrees to maintain and educate her child, Henry, without making charge for the same.
- Page 12.--__ October, 1760. John Guy's estate settlement (the name is Gay in the order), by Henry Gay, administrator--Sold to Francis Donnally, Martha Guy, Henry Guy, Arthur Greer. widow Savers, Wm. Buntin, Agnes Guy, Jean Moffet, Mary Guy, James Borling, Thos. Brown, Timothy Sullivan. Sundries to Elizabeth Gay, Ann Gay. Paid to John Vance, Nathaniel Lyon, John Neall, John Jamison, James McCoy, Arthur Hamilton, Maj. Brown, Commadore Brown.
- NOVEMBER 22, 1760. - (456) Motion of Mary Gay, relict of John Gay. Henry Gay, executor of John, to be summoned to settle accounts.
- AUGUST, 1762 (B). - Gay vs. Cowan.--Henry Gay, guardian of Henry Gay, the younger son of John Gay, deceased.
Information on John Gay
6. JOHN3 GAY (HENRY2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1734 in Sadsbury Township, Lancaster Co., PA, and died 1759 in Augusta, Virginia. He married MARY UNKNOWN Abt. 1755 in Augusta Co. VA. She was born Abt. 1734.
Notes for JOHN GAY:
The Augusta County record of John Gay’s will shows that he was the son of Henry and had an infant son named Henry and that his wife was named Mary. No other children are mentioned. If Henry was perhaps the first child of John and Mary, then it is likely that John was a young man himself, perhaps in his early twenties.
One of the witnesses to the will may have been a relative of Mary (i.e. her maiden name might have been Hamilton, McDonald, or Davis). John's orphan child, Henry, appears to be the prime candidate to be the Henry Gay who later left Augusta County and migrated to eastern Tennessee ( the French Broad area) and then later to the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River.
More About JOHN GAY and MARY UNKNOWN:
Marriage: Abt. 1755, Augusta Co. VA
Child of JOHN GAY and MARY UNKNOWN is:
- i. HENRY4 GAY, b. Abt. 1758, Augusta Co., VA; d. 1830, Gays Creek, Perry, KY.