John Fulton, of North Mountain - Rockingham County
Facts and Events
John Fulton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 364.--14th August, 1753. Robert Shankland, Sr., to John Fulton, 1753. Cor. Jacob Dye, North Mountain, patented 1746, 300 acres. Teste: Ro. Ralstone, Ephraim Love, Jno. Thomas. (Note: North Mountain is located near Muddy Creek, on the North Branch of the Shenandoah River).
Records of John Fulton in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Inhabitants of North Mountain, at head of Muddy Creek, petition for road from Ephraim Love's to the road from South Branch to Swift Run Gap: Ephraim Love, John Herdman, Jeremiah Hanason, Aaron Oliver, Thomas Campbell, Robert Pattison, John Slaven, Patrick Black, Robert Rallstone, John Negarry, Tomes Shanklin, John Taler, Daniel Harrison, John Foolton, Jesse Harrison, Patrick Cain.
- Page 357.--17th September, 1763. Thomas ( ) Shanklin, Sr., to Thomas Shanklin, Jr., his son, £20, two tracts, one containing 100 acres, 80 acres of which is part of 400 patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746, on branch of Muddy Creek; corner John Shanklin's land; the other tract containing 80 acres patented to Thomas Shanklin, Sr., June, 1755, on branches of Muddy Creek; O'Neal's land, John Fulton's line. Delivered: Thomas Shanklin, 30th August, 1790.
Information on John Fulton
1. John Fulton(2) , born: date and place unknown, died before 24 August 1778 (3) in Rockingham County, created March 1778 from Augusta County, Virginia. Spouse unknown. John Fulton served in Capt. John Christianson's regiment in 1742.(4) Will provisions were: "James Wilson, orphan of Andrew Wilson to be bound to Thomas Fulton to learn trade of cooper, two years old last Christmas."
- His children:
- 2. i. John born circa 1728-29, executor of his father's estate.
- 3. ii. William Fulton(5) born circa 1730, probably in Pennsylvania or New England. Died before 13 April 1821 Gallia Co., Ohio. Tombstone says he was 91 yrs old.
- 4. iii. Robert (?), schoolmaster in 1765.(6) No further information.
Help fund new features!