Facts and Events
John Erwin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- John Erwin received a patent for 400 acres "on Long Glade, a branch of North River, Shanando; corner Francis Erwin" on 16th August 1756, as listed in record below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 140.---28th March, 1759. John Erwin and Jean to Wm. Curry, £20, 200 acres, part of 400 patented to John, 16th August, 1756, on Long Glade, a branch of North River, Shanando; corner Francis Erwin. Teste: Andrew Francis, Edward Erwin. Delivered: Executor of grantee, 17 June, 1812.
Will of John Erwin
- Page 198.--15th February, 1761. John Erwin's will: to son Edward, part of plantation adjoining William Correy. Sons and daughters and wife. Executors, Andrew Erwin, Jean Erwin and son Edward. Overseers, brother Edward and Francis. Teste: James Oliver, William Curry, David Williams. Proved 19th November, 1762, by the witnesses. Edward Erwin qualifies executor (the others refusing) with Henry Smith, William Curry.
- Page 210.--13th December, 1762. John Erwin's estate, appraised by Edward Shanklin, Robert Fowler, Charles Campbell.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 272.--1760: Processioned by John Malkem and Alex. Blair, viz: For John Young, for Robert Young, for James Anderson, for Alex. Blair, for John Anderson, for John Francey, for Wm. Cunningham, fnr John McKemy. for Walter Trimble, for Hugh Dever, for John Davies, for _____ Doughlas, for Daniel Smith, for Bigham's land formerly known by the name of Gragg's, for Gabriel Pickens, for Robert Poage, for Abraham Smith, for Isaiah Shipman, for David Robiston, for Silas Hart, for John Cunningham, for Henry Smith, for Widow Ramsey, for Thomas Woodal, for Moses Hall, for Andrey McCown, for James Bell, for Edward Erwin, for Alex. Craig, for Wm. Frame, for Thos. Waterson, for Francis Brown, for John King, for John Searight, for John Kear, for Hugh Campbell, for Alex. Kile, for Robert Fowler, for James Gamble, for James Leeper, Sr. and Jr., for James Blair, for Edward Erwin's land formerly known as Brownlee's place, for Adam Stevenson, for Umphrey's place on North River, for Stevenson's place they live on, for Jacob and Christian Roleman, for John Malcom, for William Flimen, for Charles Campbell, for Robert Campbell, for William Brown, for Widow and John and James Alexander, for Michael Dickey, for James Young, for James Patterson, for Andrew Erwin, for John Erwin, for Edward Erwin, for Francis Erwin, for Hugh Campbell, Jr., for James McGill, for Robert Brown, for James Young.
Records of John Erwin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 222--28th December, 1749. William Magill's appraisement, by John Seawright, John Erwin, Charles Campbell. Cash by Hugh Dover and Hugh Ross.
- Page 201.--27th November, 1751. William and Robert Brown to Robert Campel, 220 acres. Corner Jno. Anderson; corner John Erwin; Thos Erwin's line. Elizabeth, wife of William. Teste: Andrew Erwin, Hugh Cample.
- Page 277.--29th November, 1751. Edward Erwin, Sr., yeoman, and Frances, to Edward Erwin, Jr., yeoman, 206 acres, part of 2 patents to Edward, 5th April, 1748, and March, 1747; Long Glade; corner Wm. Brown and John Anderson; Wm. Alexander's corner; John Erwin's line. Teste: Robert, Francis and Benjamin Erwin. Delivered: Benjamin Erwin, May, 1754.
- Page 452.--18th August, 1752. John Dunbarr, farmer, to Wm. Miller, farmer, of Frederick Country. On Lost River of Calaphon, from Fairfax, 412 acres. Delivered: Francis McBride, January, 1754. Teste: Robert Renick, John Erwin.
- Page 16.--20th March, 1754. John Erwin's bond as administrator of Geo. McSwine, with sureties Andrew Erwin, Robert McClenachan.
- Page 17.--20th March, 1754. John Erwin's bond as administrator of Robert Foil, with surety Robert Brown.
- Page 48.--11th April, 1754. Robert Foil's appraisement and sale bill, by Chas. and Robt. Campbell, Wm. Magill. 19th April, 1754. Vendue of above. By Jno. Erwin. Robert Foil's estate in account with Jno. Erwin.
- Page 370.--17th November, 1756. George Breckinridge, of Albemarle, to John Steel, £55, 230 acres in Beverley Manor, cor. Thos. Beard. Teste: Samuel Steel,' Wm. Read, John Erwm.
- Page 456.--27th January, 1757. Edward Erwin, Sr., yeoman, to Francis Erwin, yeoman, £200, 184 acres, part of 350 acres patented to Edward, 6th April, 1748; cor. Edward Erwin, Jr., kern of stones; cor. Benj. Erwin. Also 100 acres, part of 220 acres patented to Edward, March, 1747; cor. Wm. Brown and Wm. Alexander. Teste: John, Andrew, Edward Erwin. Sent to Francis Erwin by order 28th September, 1774.
- Page 30.--28th June, 1758. George Mouse's estate settlement, by Michael Mallow. Allowed 19th May, 1761. Sold to Cateren Moser, Jacob Cutman, Chas. Deavier, Seasor (Caesar) Brown, Henry Banener. Second vendue, 8th November, 1758, to Felty Mack, Jno. Arewen, Thos. Peterson, Robt. Mines, Andrew Arewen. Third vendue, 1st October, 1760, to Geo. Caplinger, Michael Props. Received from Geo. Madison for Providen (provender). Received from Capt. Smith, patterole money. Received from Capt. Smith for provender. Received from Abraham Smith, patterole money. Received from Frank Cartley. Received from Henry Fletcher. Paid Gabriel Gile for horse hunting. Paid John McCoy. Paid Andrew Smith for spinning. Three days driving cows from Trout Rock to Cartley's Fort.