Facts and Events
This John Cowan settled in Albemarle County, VA by 1745 when he is listed as a member of a roadcrew for the portion of Three Notch'd Road leading from the DS Tavern, Albemarle County, VA to Woods Gap on the Blue Ridge. He is likely to have been present in the area much earlier than that, probably arriving with Person:Michael Woods (1) and his extended family about 1733-1734.
He appears again in 1756 he secured a land grant for 268 acres on the branches of Meachums River.  After that date are several records that refer to a John Cowan as present in this area, including a 1758 militia roster  It appears, however, that these records refer to person:John Cowan (66) who may be his son. 
- ↑ '"27 June 1745 O.S., p. 23. Road. Andrew Wallace is Appointed Surveyor of the High Way from D. S. to Mitchams River. and Archibald Woods, Jeremiah Marris, William Shaw, Robert Mannely, John Dickey , William Wallace, Mirlock McDowell, Micah Woods, junr., Micah McDowell, Anthony Osbrook, John Lawson, John Cowan, William Little, and Robert Anderson Are Ordered to Assist the said Wallace in clearing the same. See Data. Albemarle County Road Orders mentioning "Cowans".
- ↑ See Data. Cowan Land Grants in Virginia, 1680-1815.
- ↑ Albemarle Company of Militia, 1758
- ↑ The 268 parcel obtained by grant in 1756 comes into the hands of person:David Cowan (1) by 1759. David is believed to be the son of John (65) and his wife Eleanor, who seems to have inherited the property. John (65) died intestate, and the basis on which David received this parcel (instead of a share in the property) is unknown. In anycase, in 1759 David sells this parcel to John (66). As a result records for John Cowan in this area, immediately before, and after the transfer of the land from David to John, probably refer to John (66).
Help fund new features!