John Cloyd, of the James River, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
||John Cloyd, of the James River, Augusta County, VA
||Bef. 13 November 1759
||Augusta County, Virginia
John Cloyd was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 393.--29th November, 1749. William Henderson to William Hudson and John Clyde (s/b John Cloyd), of Penna. Above the mouth of Buffalo Creek, 350 acres on the North Branch of James River. Susanna, wife of William Henderson.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 456.--10th August, 1753. David Henderson for Wm. Hudson and Jno. Cloyd, both of Chester County, Pennsylvania, to Wm. Henderson 1753, 350 acres on North Branch of James, Buffilo Creek. Livery by a branch of an oak and a handful of earth. Delivered: Walter Davis, January, 1756. Teste: Wm. Lusk.
Estate Records of John Cloyd
- Page 35.--13th November, 1759. John Cloyd's appraisement, by Edward, Joseph and Bryan McDonald.
- Page 354.--18th March, 1760. David Cloyd's bond (with Andw. Hays, Peter Hog) as administrator of John Cloyd.
- Page 230.--18th March, 1760. David Cloid's bond (with John Bowyer, James McGavock), as guardian (appointed) to Mary Cloyd, orphan of John Cloyd.
- Page 231.--18th March, 1760. David Cloid's bond (with Thos. Paxton), as guardian (chosen) to Jno. Cloyd, orphan of John Cloyd.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1760. (346) David Cloyd, appointed guardian of Mary, infant orphan of John Cloyd. James Henderson qualified Ensign. John Cloyd, orphan of John Cloyd, chose David Cloyd his guardian.
- Page 375.--24th November, 1764. John Cloyd's estate settlement and vendue bill recorded--1759, 24th November, 2 gallons brandy for ye vendue; 1760, 27th December, 5 shillings paid Francis Lewis (Lever?); 1761, paid for making a coat for James; 1761, 14th April, cash paid widow Gatlive; 1761, 6th April, cash to Joseph Robinson; 1763, 11th August, paid Robert Pepper, Jno. Armstrong for making 3 pair Suse; amount of necessary bought for children; 1759, 29th November, sold to Jas. Cloyd, Jr.--John Cloyd Settled by David Cloyd, administrator.
Probable Relatives in Augusta County, VA
Some sources claim that John Cloyd was a possible brother of David Cloyd, who lived near this John Cloyd, was named administrator of John Cloyd's estate and was chosen the guardian of John Cloyd's children after his death. Since David Cloyd had another brother named John, this John Cloyd could be a brother (?) or perhaps a cousin to David. More research is necessary to determine the exact relationship between the two.
Records of John Cloyd in Augusta County, VA
- Page 333.--30th August, 1759. James Robertson's estate sold at vendue-- Zachariah Smith, David McNeeley, Mathew Harper, Charles Mehafey, Saml. McCown, Timothy Cole, Thos. Baskins, Jno. Cloyd, Thos. Fulton, Robert Brown, Robt. Adair, Ben Herbert, George Woldridge, Nate Dunlap, Dan. Kidd, Thos. Galbreath.
Help fund new features!