Facts and Events
Jeremiah Chamberlain was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 359.--29th May, 1761 (prob. 1751). Jeremiah Chamberlain (ane) of York Co., Pennesylvania, to Francis Rich, on branches of James; corner Jeremiah's other tract. Teste: Thomas Tosh.
- Page 41.--22d November, 1751. Jeremiah Chamberlain of York Co., Pennsylvania, to John Neeley, 400 arres, branches of James; patented to Jeremiah, 12th February, 1742. Teste: James Ewing.
Records of Jeremiah Chamberlain in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 39.--6th August, 1768. Francis Reiley to Joseph Cloyd, £135, 400 acres on branches of James River; corner Jeremiah Chamberlain's tract Teste: Benjamin Hawkins, Patrick Sharkey, Samuel ( ) McRoberts.
Information on Jeremiah Chamberlain
From Genforum.com post:
Re: JEREMIAH CHAMBERLAIN (1707-1776), of York Co., PA
Posted by: Bobby J Chamberlain (ID *****2796) Date: November 05, 2005 at 12:42:37
In Reply to: JEREMIAH CHAMBERLAIN (1707-1776), of York Co., PA by Bobby J Chamberlain of 4085
Here is an updated version of the tentative chronology for Jeremiah Chamberlain (1707-1776), of York Co., PA. Several new items have been added to it.
Jeremiah Chamberlain: Chronology
- 1707/1712: Born, Ireland
- About 1742: Came to America
- 1742: Purchased Land Patent, Orange Co., VA (12 Feb.; bordering land patent of James Chamberlain, purchased on same date)
- About 1742: Married Marjery Hamilton, PA; settled in Lancaster Co., PA, at Slate Ridge (near Great Conewago)
- After 1742: Birth of son John
- After 1742: Birth of daughter Betsy (Ann?)
- After 1742: Birth of daughter Polly (Martha?)
- 1745: Birth of son James, Lancaster Co., PA (27 May)
- 1750/1760: Moved to York Co., PA (now Adams Co.)
- 1751: Sold one tract of land in Orange Co., VA, to Francis Rich (29 May)
- 1751: Birth of son Ninian, Lancaster Co., PA (1 Oct.)
- 1751: Sold Land Patent in Orange Co., VA, to John Neeley (22 Nov.)
- 1756: Bought land in Reading Twp., York Co., PA, from Daniel Hare (2 Apr.)
- 1759: Mentioned in will of James Laughlin as having sold to latter a land tract on Big Conewago, near Susquehanna, PA
- 1762: Census, York Co., PA (Reading)
- 1765: Mentioned in a deed for land sold by Wm. Beatty to Valentine Knop, in Reading Twp., York Co., as owning land adjacent to the tract in question (2 May); with Jno Beaty, appointed guardian for the 3 minor children of the late Wm. Willson, Reading Twp., York Co., PA (27 Aug.)
- 1766: Witness, will of Wm. Nash, of Lancaster Co., PA (1 Dec.); witness, will of Wm. Hodge, Sr., York Co., PA (31 Dec.)
- 1769: Notice in "The Pennsylvania Gazette" of 12 Oct. of two stray horses having wandered onto the lands of Jeremiah Chamberlain, of Reading township, York Co., on 7 Sept.
- 1776: Will, Reading Twp., York Co., PA (28 Feb.; proved 12 Mar.)
- 1776: Died, Hunterstown, Adams Co., PA (3 Mar.; bur. Great Conewago Presbyterian Cem., York Co., PA)
Help fund new features!