Facts and Events
Jared Erwin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 179.--21st August, 1765. Robert Poage, of Albemarle, to Jared Erwin, £70, 135 acres on a branch of North River called Nowls Branch; corner Abraham Smith's survey.
- Page 100.--16th September, 1779. James Clemons and Florah ( ) to Jared Erwin, of Rockingham County, on Cowpasture, patented to George Wilson, 15th December, 1758.
Records of Jared Erwin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 191.--24th January, 1767. Thomas Watterson and Mary ( ) to Abraham Smith, £47.15, 540 acres patented to Thomas, 12th May, 1769, line of Francis Brown's land. Teste: James Bell, Robert Currey, Jarrod Erwin, Benj. Logan. Delivered: Col. Abraham Smith. March, 1772.
- Page 32.--18th November, 1772. Recorded. Jacob Gillasppey's appraisement by Jarod Erwine, Henry Black, John Craford.
- Page 110.--25th November, 1772. Robert Hill, only son and heir apparent at law to the estate of Jonson Hill, deceased, to Abraham Smith, joining a survey formerly John O'Neal's; two tracts on Dry River, patented to Jonson Hill. Teste: Henry Black, Jared Erwine, Samuel Dunn, John Reynolds.
- Page 113.--25th November, 1772. Abraham Smith to Robert Hill, on head branches of Dry Run, a branch of the North Branch of the South Branch, Potowmack, above a tract of Joseph Skidmore's. Same witnesses as to above (Teste: Henry Black, Jared Erwine, Samuel Dunn, John Reynolds).
- Page 221.--16th March, 1774. Recorded. Aaron Oliver's estate appraised by Jarad Erwine, Isaiah Shipman.
- Vol. 2 - 1779--August 23, Henry Penninger informs the Court that Gerard Erwin has propagated news tending to raise tumults and seditions in the State; bound to Grand Jury. Will of James Baggs proved. Thos. Baggs qualifies executor. Relief of Bridget, wife of John Fowler, a soldier; three small children. Wm. Nalle recommended escheator. Relief of Barbara, wife of Geo. Woolridge, a soldier. Relief of Mary, wife of Jno. Rylie, a soldier. Estate of Adam Ellwine committed.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1788--April 1, Wm. Armstrong and John Armstrong, surety. Wm. Armstrong and Elizabeth Erwin, daughter of Jarred Erwin (consent). Teste: John Armstrong, Andrew Jordan.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1792. - Mary Devericks, infant, by Thomas Devericks, next friend, vs. Jarred Erwin and Elizabeth, his wife.--Slander. Writ, 16th August, 1790.
- Vol. 2 - Rankin vs. Erwin--Bond by Richard Rankin to Jarrad Erwin, March, 1787. Affidavit that John Warren lives in North Carolina, 2d September, 1791.
- Vol. 2 - SEPTEMBER, 1808 (H to Z). - Henry Martin vs. Jared Ervin--John Butcher (Rockingham County) is about to remove, 11th August, 1807.