Facts and Events
James Kelso was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 67.--29th November, 1790. John Sitlington to James Kelso, his son-in-law, husband to John's daughter, Elizabeth, marriage portion, plantation on Cowpasture where John now lives.
Records of James Kelso in Augusta County, VA
- (Marriage License) - 1789--August 24, James Kelso and Betsy Sitlington, daughter of John Sitlington (consent); witnesses, Alexander Crawford, Andrew Sitlington. James is son of Hugh Kelso (consent). Witnesses, John Walker, John Moore, John Stewart; surety, Alexander McPheeters.
- The next several records are listed consecutively in Chalkley's:
- Page 45--Answer by James Kelso in Goochland County, 1817.
- Page 49--Answer by Betsy Hughart, formerly Kelso, 1816, in Montgomery County, Kentucky. James Kelso now lives in Louisa, where he married. He had by a former marriage John, Hugh, Polly, Betsy.
- Page 51--Will of John Sitlington, of the Cowpasture, Bath County. Son-in-law, James Kelso. Only surviving son, Robert Sitlington; daughter, Jane Crawford; daughter, Jennet Slown; daughter, Elizabeth Kelso; daughter, Mary Young; daughter, Ann Baty. Dated 12th September, 1792. Recorded in Bath, January, 1798.
- Page 53--Petition of John Kelso, son of James. This is a suit to set aside a deed by James to the children named on page 49. In 1817 John went to Kentucky. John Sitlington was his grandfather.
- Page 55--John Sitlington's daughter Elizabeth married James Kelso.
- Page 57--Deed, 2d June, 1823, by Thos. Hughart and Elizabeth, of Bath County, Kentucky, to John P. Kelso, of same place. (Note: Elizabeth (Kelso) Hughart and John P. Kelso were children of James Kelso, of his first marriage).
- Page 58--Deed, 9th April, 1820, by Jno. C. Alexander and wife, Polly, of Montgomery County, Kentucky, to John S. Kelso, of Bath County, Kentucky. Deed, 22d October, 1816, by James Kelso and wife, Elizabeth, of Louisa, to John, Hugh, Thos. Hughart, and Elizabeth and Polly Kelso.