Facts and Events
There are 2 vital records available on MyHeritage for James Walker Kelso, including birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate.
Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence.
Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives.
For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
See all vital records for James Walker Kelso
James Kelso was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 67.--29th November, 1790. John Sitlington to James Kelso, his son-in-law, husband to John's daughter, Elizabeth, marriage portion, plantation on Cowpasture where John now lives.
- American Revolutionary War Veteran
Revolutionary War Pension Information
Information from “Virginia/West Virginia Genealogical Data from Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Records”, Vol. 3, compiled by Patrick G. Wardell, Lt. Col. U.S. Army Ret. :
Kelso, James - born 1761 in Augusta County (area later Rockbridge County), Virginia; query letter in file says soldier was residing in Rockbridge County, Virginia in 1835. F-S18068, R1468.
Records of James Kelso in Augusta County, VA
- (Marriage License) - 1789--August 24, James Kelso and Betsy Sitlington, daughter of John Sitlington (consent); witnesses, Alexander Crawford, Andrew Sitlington. James is son of Hugh Kelso (consent). Witnesses, John Walker, John Moore, John Stewart; surety, Alexander McPheeters.
- The next several records are listed consecutively in Chalkley's:
- Page 45--Answer by James Kelso in Goochland County, 1817.
- Page 49--Answer by Betsy Hughart, formerly Kelso, 1816, in Montgomery County, Kentucky. James Kelso now lives in Louisa, where he married. He had by a former marriage John, Hugh, Polly, Betsy.
- Page 51--Will of John Sitlington, of the Cowpasture, Bath County. Son-in-law, James Kelso. Only surviving son, Robert Sitlington; daughter, Jane Crawford; daughter, Jennet Slown; daughter, Elizabeth Kelso; daughter, Mary Young; daughter, Ann Baty. Dated 12th September, 1792. Recorded in Bath, January, 1798.
- Page 53--Petition of John Kelso, son of James. This is a suit to set aside a deed by James to the children named on page 49. In 1817 John went to Kentucky. John Sitlington was his grandfather.
- Page 55--John Sitlington's daughter Elizabeth married James Kelso.
- Page 57--Deed, 2d June, 1823, by Thos. Hughart and Elizabeth, of Bath County, Kentucky, to John P. Kelso, of same place. (Note: Elizabeth (Kelso) Hughart and John P. Kelso were children of James Kelso, of his first marriage).
- Page 58--Deed, 9th April, 1820, by Jno. C. Alexander and wife, Polly, of Montgomery County, Kentucky, to John S. Kelso, of Bath County, Kentucky. Deed, 22d October, 1816, by James Kelso and wife, Elizabeth, of Louisa, to John, Hugh, Thos. Hughart, and Elizabeth and Polly Kelso.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
- The Pension Roll of 1835: Report from the Secretary of War, in Obedience to Resolutions of the Senate of the 5th and 30th of June, 1834, and the 3d of March, 1835, in Relation to the Pension Establishment of the United States. (Washington, District of Columbia: Duff Green, 1835).
U.S., The Pension Roll of 1835
Name: James Kelso
Birth Year: abt 1757
Pension Enrollment Date: 4 Mar 1831
Residence Place: Rockbridge, Virginia, USA
Service Description: Virginia contin'l