Facts and Events
James Clark was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James Clark's land (Beverley Manor NW, 380 acres acquired from George Hutchinson in 1746 and an adjoining 436-acre tract acquired from Jacob Lockhart in 1755) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 84.--14th May, 1746. George Hutchinson, of Augusta, yeoman, to James Clarke, wheelwright, £24.10.0; 380 acres in Beverley Manor, corner to land surveyed for John Brown. Witnesses, John Risk, James Brown, James Trimble. Acknowledged, 13th May, 1746, and Eleanor, his wife, relinquishes dower. (Note: later records indicate that this land was patented to James Clarke by Beverley, most likely with George Hutchinson acting as his agent).
- Page 93.--1st April, 1755. Jacob Lockhart, plantationer, to James Clerk, wheelwright, £17, 436 acres on which Jacob now lives in Beverley Manor, on Back Creek; said James Clerk's line; corner Glebe land; James Berry's line; James Young's line. Mortgage. Teste: James Goodly, John Jones, William Clerk. Delivered: John Clerk, March, 1758.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's
- Page 109.-- 2d January, 1761. James Clark, Sr., to John Clark, £50, 80 acres in Beverley Manor, on Back Creek, a branch of Middle River, and part of 380 acres belonging to James Clerk. Teste: Wm. and Samuel Clark. Delivered: Samuel Clark, 19th November, 1770.
- Page 46.--19th August, 1766. James Clarke to Samuel Clarke, his son, £10, 84 acres on a branch of Middle River, part of 384 acres conveyed to James by Beverley, 15th May, 1746; corner Robert Clarke's part of same tract; corner John Clarke's land. Teste: George Carpenter. Delivered: Samuel Clarke, 19th November, 1770.
- Page 48.--19th August, 1766. James Clarke to Robert Clarke, his son, £20, 216 acres in Beverley Manor on head branch of Middle River, part of 380 acres above; corner McCleerey's land. Delivered: R. Clarke, July, 1784.
Will of James Clark
- Page 4.--20th August, 1774. James Clark's will--To daughter, Jean Clark (Clok), 2 shillings; to daughter, Elizabeth Regh, 2 shillings; to daughter, Sarah Clok, 2 shillings; to son, John, 2 shillings; to son, James, 2 shillings; to son, William's heir, 2 shillings; to daughter, Ane Dunlap, 2 shillings; to son, Alexander, 2 shillings; to son, Samuel, 2 shillings; to son, Robert, 2 shillings; to daughter, Marget, 2 shillings; to wife, Elizabeth. Executors, wife, and son Wm. Regh. Teste: James and John McCleerey, James Ewing. Proved, 17th March, 1778, by James McCreerey and Ewing.
Records of James Clark in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 505.--27th February, 1749. Deed for the Glebe. Robert Campbell, Gent., to James Lockhart and John Madison, Church Wardens, and the other vestrymen, viz: James Patton, John Buchanan, Patrick Hays, John Christian, John Buchanan, Robert Alexander, Thomas Gordon, John Archer, John Mathews, John Smith, 200 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner James Clarke. 350 acres conveyed to Robert by Beverley, 24th July, 1740. Teste: Patrick Cook, John Risk, Matthew Wilson, Nathan Patterson, Samuel Walker.
- Page 452.--14th November, 1752. Nathan Patterson's appraisement by Andrew Steel, Saml. McCutchon, Thos. Kirkpatrick, James Clark. Due by Robert Plesent, Jane Jackson, Geo. Wilson, and James Mease.
- Page 508.--12th March, 1755. John McLeary, yeoman, to James McLeary his son, plantationer, love and affection and £10; 200 acres, part of 420 acres, conveyed by Beverley, 4th February, 1748, in Beverley Manor Thos. Kirkpatrick's line, a head branch of Middle River of Shanandoe, James Clerk's line. Livery, &c., John McLeary. Delivered: James McLeary, November 1758.
- Page 205.--15th October, 1755. Archibald ( ) Elliott and Sarah ( ) to Archibald Armstrong, £55, 213 acres on Little River in Calfpasture. Teste: Wm. French, John and James Clark. Delivered: Jno. Graham, September, 1762. (Note: Archibald Elliott married James Clark's daughter, Sarah).
- Page 548.--20th February, 1758. Archibald ( ) Eliot (Elet), of Anton County, North Carolina, to James Clark, Sr., and Wm. Eliot, power attorney to convey 163 acres to John Johnston on Jackson River. Teste: Jno. Mophet, Patrick Jack.
- Page 69.--21st November, 1759. James Clerk (s/b Clark) and Wm. Elliote to Wm. Johnson, assignee of John Johnson. Whereas Archbald Elliote, of Anson County, North Carolina, on 20th February, 1758, by power attorney constituted James dark (s/b Clark) and Wm. Elliott his attorney to make this conveyance. 163 acres on Jackson's River, £60.
- Page 75.--23d November, 1770. John Clark and Frances to Robert Clark, £57.10, 80 acres on Back Creek in Beverley Manor of Middle River, part of 300 acres belonging to James Clark. Delivered: Robert Clark, 21st July, 1784.
- Page 79.--23d November, 1770. Samuel Clark to Robert Clark. £70, 84 acres on a branch of Middle River of Shanadore, part of 380 acres conveyed to Samuel by James Clerk, corner Robert Clerk's part of said tract; corner John Clerk's land.
- Page 417.--7th July, 1771. William Elliott's will--To wife; to son, James; to son, John; to son, William; to rest of the children; to son, Archibald, schooling and smith's trade; to son, Lanty, schooling and choose a trade. Executors, wife Jane and son John. Teste: Robert Clark, John Stephenson, James Clark. Proved, 21st August, 1771, by the witnesses. Executors qualify (Jane's mark ) with Archibald Armstrong, Jno. Dickinson. (William Elliott was the brother-in-law of James Clark's daughter, Sarah, who married Archibald Elliott).
- Page 196.--1st November, 1773. Archibald Reach, Jr.'s, will--To wife, Margaret; to children. Executors, wife and Uncle Archibald Reah. Teste: Michael Coulter, William Reah, James dark (s/b Clark). Proved, 15th March, 1774, by Coulter and Reah. Executors qualify (Margaret her mark) with Thomas Hill. William Reagh.
- Page 208.--8th October, 1781. Elizabeth (mark) dark's (s/b Clark's) will--To daughter, Jean Elliot's heirs; to well beloved Elizabeth Breath (s/b Rhea) (Reath, Reoth?); to daughter, Sarah Elliot; to daughter, Anne Dounlap; to daughter, Margret Clenkaid (s/b Kincaid); to son, John Gridle; to son, James; to son, Alexander and to Alexander's wife; to four daughters; to son, Samuel; to son, William's heirs; to son, Robert. Executors, son Robert Clark and William Reaoh. Teste: Charles Donally, James McCleerey, Robt. Patterson, Geo. Berry. Proved, 20th November, 1781, by McCleerey and Berry. Robert Clark qualifies. (Note: Elizabeth was the wife of this James Clark).
- Page 344.--Above estate settled by Catherine North (Estate of Roger North), administratrix 1776, November 7, paid James Clarke for freedom dues; 1777, May 29, paid Alex. Brownlee, 11 months' storekeeping; August 28, paid Mr. Curry for teaching (schooling) Phill.; September 30, paid Michael Bowyer for do; 1777, by cash from Capt. Hays for soldiers; September 2, by cash from Wm. Rush, son to John; by cash from Jno. Jonett.
- Page 327.--17th August, 1784. Robert Clarke and Agness to James Scott, late of the County of Lancaster, Penna. Delivered to William Scott, son of James, 2d February, 1789, 86 acres patented to Robert 16th February, 1771, near James Clark's old plantation, between Beverley Manor line and North Mountain.
Information on James Clark
Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19
Search Results | Download GEDCOM | Print
James B. CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WBT) Pedigree
Born: 1704 Place: Jamestown, King And Queen, Virginia
Died: 1778 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Father: John CLARK (AFN:201M-G6F) Family
Mother: Elizabeth LUMPKINS (AFN:201M-G7M)
Elizabeth SUMMERS (AFN:1WGF-WC2) Pedigree
Born: 1705 Place: <, Augusta, Virginia>
Died: 8 Oct 1778 Place: Virginia
Father: John SUMMERS (AFN:1WGH-0R5) Family
Mother: Elizabeth THOMPSON (AFN:1WGH-0SC)
1. Sex Name
F Elizabeth CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WD8) Pedigree
Born: Abt. 1728 Place: August County, Virginia
2. Sex Name
F Sarah CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WFG) Pedigree
Born: Abt. 1730 Place: August County, Virginia
3. Sex Name
M John G CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WGN) Pedigree
Born: Abt 1732 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 1812 Place: , Washington, Virginia
4. Sex Name
M James CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WHV) Pedigree
Born: Abt. 1734 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 1792 Place: Bath County, Virginia
5. Sex Name
M Samuel CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WMP) Pedigree
Born: Abt. 1742 Place: August County, Virginia
6. Sex Name
F Jane (Jean) CLARK (AFN:1WGF-W8F) Pedigree
Born: 1726 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 11 Jan 1780 Place: August County, Virginia
7. Sex Name
F Living (AFN:1WGF-WP4) Pedigree
8. Sex Name
M Robert CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WNW) Pedigree
Born: 1748 Place: <August County, Virginia>
Died: Jan 1801 Place:
9. Sex Name
M Alexander CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WLH) Pedigree
Born: 1736 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 1794 Place: Greenbrier County, Virginia
10. Sex Name
F Ann CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WK9) Pedigree
Born: 1748 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 1809 Place:
11. Sex Name
M William CLARK (AFN:1WGF-WJ3) Pedigree
Born: 1738 Place: August County, Virginia
Died: 1766 Place:
12. Sex Name
F Margaret CLARK (AFN:2000-7FX) Pedigree
Born: 1 Jun 1746 Place: <August County, Virginia>
Died: 26 Jun 1834 Place: Greenbrier County, Virginia
Husband: James CLARK
Born: 1704 at: VA
Died: 1778 at: VA
Wife: Elizabeth SUMMERS
Born: 1705 at:
Died: 1781 at: VA
Name: Elizabeth CLARK
Born: JAN 1727/28 at: Augusta Co VA
Married: 1749 at: Beverly Manor Plantation in VA, Augus
Died: 23 NOV 1804 at: Bath CO VA
Spouses: William RHEA
Help fund new features!