Facts and Events
James Anglin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of James Anglin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (580) Road ordered to be cleared and kept in repair on the cowpasture by these inhabitants: Wallace Estill, Robert Carlile, John Carlile, Loftus Pullen, Richd. Bodkin, Saml. Ferguson, Mathew Harper, Thomas Wright, Michael Harper, Hance Harper, John Miller, William Price, James Anglen, James Hall, Philip Phegan, John Shaw, Herculus Wilson, William, and John Carlile.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752. - Inhabitants of Bull Pasture and head of Cowpasture petition for a road from Walles Asten's Mill to the road on the head of the Calfpasture: Robert Carrolile, Richard Bodkin, Thomas Wright, John Miller, James Hall, Horcklas Willson, John Carrolile, Samuel Forgerson, Michael Harper, Wm. Price, Philip Phegan, William Carrolile, Loftus Pullen, Mathew Harper, Hance Harper, James Anglen, John Shaw, John Carrolile. Wallas Aston to be overseer.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 25, 1755. - (1) James Anglen has removed out of the Colony.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents - 1755--List of Robert Breckinridge, Sheriff: Mathew Lindsey, twice charged; James Angling. (Note: among many others listed).
Information on James Anglin
From "Annals of Bath County, Virginia", by Oren F. Morton, pg. 188:
- James Anglin lived until about 1756 at the mouth of Benson's Creek, which was at first called Anglin's Creek. Like so many other settlers he became embarrassed by debt. The Indians may have had something to do with his leaving, although he seems to have made a new home beyond the Allegheny. We read of Isaac and other Anglins in that quarter and there is an Anglin's Run near the western line of Greenbrier. Anglin's Ferry, now Philippi, was named for William Anglin.
From Ancestry.com post:
Anglin line as I have it:
James Anglin born 1720 Cork, Ireland. Married Mary Lindsey in 1743 Cork, Ireland. Children: John b. 1752 Augusta Co. VA; Henry; David; William b. 1758; Catherine. The latter four were born in Orange Co. North Carolina. Family in Wilkes County, GA by 1773.
John Anglin b. 1752 married Mary Jones – Children: Susannah, Elijah, Nathan, Mary, Henry, Catherine, and John Jones b. abt. 1788.
John Jones Anglin b. abt. 1788 married Nancy Edmondson 05 September 1804 in Warren County, Georgia. He was living in Henry County, Alabama in 1830. Children were: Stephen G.; Allen; and John A. Anglin.
Stephen G. Anglin was born in Twiggs County, Georgia. He married Margaret J. Jordan 17 July 1827 in Henry County, Alabama. The only child I show is John William Anglin.
I hope this is your family. Let me know. Kathryn (Anglin) Blackshear was the daughter of William Anglin Born 1758 in Orange Co. N.C. William Anglin was the brother of John born 1752 in Augusta Co. Virginia. It appears that John went to Henry County. William ended up in Chambers County, Alabama. It appears your John Anglin Sr. was an uncle to Kathryn who was my husband’s gg grandmother.