Facts and Events
Jacob Lemon was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of Jacob Lemon in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Revolutionary Declaration - Jacob Lemon's Declaration, August 14th, 1832: Age 70; enlisted in 1780 in Augusta County in Capt. John Tate's Company; served in the Southern Army in the Regiment of Col. Howard of Maryland; was at the battle of the Cowpens. In May, 1781, he was drafted in the Company of Capt. John Dickey from Augusta and marched to Williamsburg where was Col. Hugart; was in the battle of Jamestown. In 1782 he was again drafted under Col. John Moffett, of Augusta, to guard Tiger's Valley against the Indians; marched in the Company of Capt. McKitrick.
- Vol. 2 - Revolutionary War Service Declaration: George Lemon's Declaration, August 18th, 1832: Enlisted under Lieut. Adam Wallace in the Seventh Virginia Regiment of Col. Daingerfield or Col. Buckner; at Buford's defeat was wounded and made prisoner. Jacob Lemon testifies that he saw George march out of Staunton under Capt. Adam Wallace. (Note: George Lemon was the brother of Jacob).
Revolutionary War Pension Information
Information from “Virginia/West Virginia Genealogical Data from Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Records”, Vol. 3, compiled by Patrick G. Wardell, Lt. Col. U.S. Army Ret. :
- Lemmon, Jacob - born 7 May 1763 in Frederick County, Maryland; moved at about age 10 to Augusta County, Virginia, where entered service 1780; entered service 1781 in Frederick county, Maryland, while visiting relatives there as substitute for Andrew Hull; returned home to Augusta County, Virginia where entered service 1781 against Indians; moved 8-9 years after Revolutionary War to Botetourt County, Virginia where received Pension 1832; died there 9 November 1848; married there 3 January 1797 to Jane Gilliland, who was born in Rockingham County, Virginia & moved to Botetourt County, Virginia, before marriage; married at her father's house on James River abt. 22 miles NE of Botetourt County Courthouse; widow received Pension abt. age 80 that County in 1852 when had 7 children, eldest in his 55th year; widow resided there 1855 when granted Bounty Land Warrant 16980. F-W3698, R1547.
Information on Jacob Lemon
- Jacob LEMON
- 7 May 1763 - 6 Nov 1848
- BIRTH: 7 May 1763, Frederick Co. MD 
- BIRTH: 1763 
- DEATH: 6 Nov 1848, Botetourt, VA 
- DEATH: 1848 
- EVENT: Fact 1 (2): Served in the Revolutionary War 
- Father: George LEMMONS
- Mother: Mary Elizabeth YOUNG
- Family 1 : Jane GILLILAND
- MARRIAGE: 2 Jan 1797, Botetourt Co. VA 
- Thomas J. LEMMONS
- Virginia LEMMONS
- +John LEMMONS
- Betsy LEMMONS
- Agnes Y. LEMMONS
- +Andrew LEMMONS
- +Susannah Adeline Gilliland LEMMONS
- +George LEMMONS
- +James Gilliland LEMMONS
- +Samuel LEMMONS
Help fund new features!