Facts and Events
Person:Isabel Patterson (1) is a descendant of William (61), The Pennsylvania Patriarch
This article is for the Isabel Patterson who appears in the Tinkling Springs Baptismal records, baptized 2 August 1741. The baptismal record indentifies her father as Robert Patterson. We currently have records showing six Robert Pattersons in the area between c1738 and
Of these, assuming the stated vita are correct, only Robert (51) and Robert (39) could be her father, the others being either too young to have a child baptized in 1741, or not yet born. Robert (51) left a will dated 1775, in which he named his sons and daughters. An "isabel" is not included among them, though it is possible that she predeceased him (and so might not be named, particularly if she left no children.) Robert (39) also left a will (dated 1774) but identified no daughters. This may indicate that 1) he had no female children, 2) his daughters were all married, and he left them no bequests, or 3) they had predeased him. Currently, we have no way to discriminate between the various alternatives, and Isabel could be a daughter of either of these Roberts, or alternatively a daughter of a currently unrecognized Robert Patterson in the area.
Robert (39) testified in 1740 that he had self-imported from Ireland. That may mean that he came directly from Ireland to Virginia sometime before 1740, or that he initially settled elsewhere (presumably Pennyslvania), but by 1740 he was in Virginia. His importation record lists his wife and children:
- May 1740 Robert Patterson, Grace, his wife; Thomas, Mary, & Elizabeth Patterson (from Ireland)
Thomas, Mary, and ELixabeth are presumably his children. Isabel, baptized 1741, could perhaps have been born after his importation
- Isabella Patterson Records in Chalkley's Chronicles
- Patterson Baptisms at Tinkling Springs
From Chalkley's Chronicles 3:137
Psge 295 - - 1st October, 1774. Robert Patterson's will - - To son-in-law, Alexander Stuart, Bible; to son, Thomas; to son, John; to son John's children; to granddaughter, Mary Stuart; to grandson, Robert Stuart; to grandson, Robert Patterson. Executor, son Thomas. Teste: John Archer, Daniel Kidd, Edward Hall. Proved, 16th November, 1774, by Kidd, and recorded. Thomas qualified with John Madison, Jr.
A 1791 marriage record for Isabel Patterson, to William Graham, identifies her father as Robert.
From Chalkley's Chronicles 2:295
- 1791--June 6, Wm. Graham and Isabella Patterson, daughter of Robert Patterson; surety, Robert Patterson.
This Robert can not be Robert of Cathey River, son of the Patriarch WIlliam 61, as he died in 1774.
- ↑ Presumed to have predeceased her father as she is not listed in his will of 1 October 1774. However, the basis for her inclusion in his will is not known. A 1791 marriage record for Isabel Patterson, to XXXXX, identifies her father as Robert, but that is presumably a different Isabel, as that Robert was alive at the time of the marriage.