Hugh McNeal, of Looney's Mill Creek
Facts and Events
||Hugh McNeal, of Looney's Mill Creek
||bef. February 1796
||Botetourt County, Virginia
Hugh McNeal was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Land Records in Augusta County:
- Page 174 - 10 Jul 1766 [VPB 36:958] - Hugh McNeal, 100 acres in Augusta County on the Waters of James River. [Source: ].
- McNeal, Hugh. Will probate February 1796.
- Names wife, Martha, and children: Mary McGlaughlin, Lida Gordon, Martha Murphy, John, Sarah [printed poorly], Duke, Margaret and Elizabeth.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 60].
Records in Virginia
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 204.--4th February, 1763. John Sloan, of Roan County, North Carolina, to John Adams, £35, 300 acres on Loonie's Mill Creek. Teste: John Buchanan, David Luney, Benj. Davis, Abraham McClelan, George Adams, Hugh ( ) McNelle.
- From Botetourt County, VA Records:
- Pg. 418: In 1783 Captain Mill’s Company of Militia included these men who were then living along Looney's Mill Creek and on the river: Matthew Roulston, William Anderson, William Aston, George Bright, Andrew Clark, Samuel Conner, William Cox, William Crow, Andrew Daner, James Gills (is), Thomas Hardy, James Hults, John Johnston, Samuel Johnston, George Kelly, Isaac Kelly, Isaac Layman, James Leatherdale Sr., James Leatherdale Jr., John Leatherdale, Robert Leatherdale, William Leatherdale, Valentine Martin, John Mills, William McClelon, Robert McNeelly, Hugh McNeill, James Moore, John Moore, Joseph Paxton, Benjamin Peck, Joshua Phipps, John Pryor, Joseph Pryor, Nicholas Pryor, Thomas Ross, Thomas Rowland, Samuel Todd, James Vickers, Christopher Waggoner, Samuel Walker, William Ward, Henry White, Matthew Wilson, John Wood (Doctor), Jonathan Wood, Martha Woods, Samuel Young.
- At a court held for Botetourt County fourteenth of March, one thousand seven hundred and seventy one.
- Wm. Moore, Assec. of Neil McGleaster, Plff. )
- agst. ) In Debt
- Nathl. Evans, Deft. )
- This day came the parties by their attornies & thereupon came also a jury, towit: Samuel Walker, Joseph Long, David Scott, George McColester, Hugh McNeal, Alexander McDonald, John Potts, Thomas Wilson, John Calior, Alexander Whitley, John Potts, Junr., & William Mann retd. verdt. that deft, owed plff. the sum of three pounds, three shillings and ten pence. Judgt. accdgly. and for costs, to be paid by deft.
- William Herbert, Plff. )
- agst. ) In Case
- Cissclia Andrews, Deft. )
- This day came the parties by their attornies and thereupon came also a jury, towit: William McBride, James Hutchison, John Potts, Arthur Campbell, Alexander McDonald, Josiah Vinsent, Hugh McNeal, John Collier, Thomas Arnet, John Jackson, Alexander Wilby, & John Looney retd. verdict that plff. do recover against deft. three hundred pounds, besides his costs. Judgt. accdly.
- 9/16/1799 Botetourt Co - Robert Anderson, 35 acres Looneys Creek branch of James RIver adj Geo Warner, Hugh McNeal decd & James Creary grants 41/404
- From Ancestry Message Board:
- Looking for info on the McNEIL family of Botetourt. Hugh McNEIL died c1796 in Botetourt. His will mentions wife Martha and children, Lydia md. Thomas JORDAN, Eliz. md. John McFALL, John, Mary md. a McGlaughlin or McLaughlin, Martha md. Robert MURPHY, Sarah, Duke, and Margaret.
Help fund new features!