Hugh Coffey, of the Cowpasture, Augusta County, VA
- H. Hugh Coffey, of the Cowpasture, Augusta County, VAbef 1710 - bef 1767
m. bef. 1730
- John Coffeybef 1730 -
Facts and Events
||Hugh Coffey, of the Cowpasture, Augusta County, VA
||bef. 22 Aug. 1767
||Virginia or South Carolina
Hugh Coffey was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
About Hugh Coffey of the Cowpasture
- Hugh Coffey was an early settler on the "Cow Pasture" in Augusta County, prior to March 1747, as listed below. There are no records in Augusta County of his acquisition of land, so it is probable that they may be located in the Orange County, Virginia (the predecessor county of Augusta), if the transaction occurred before 1745, when Augusta started recording deeds.
Processioning List of 1767-68
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 451.--1767-68: Processioned by Samuel Hamilton, in Cowpasture, from his house down the river to James Baird's: For Samuel Hamilton, Andw. Sutlington, John Dickenson, William Sprowel, John Donaly, Hugh Caffey, Joseph Watson, Andw. Muldrough, Wm. Dougherty, John Clendenning, William Maze, James Beard. Processioned by John Botkin: For Samuel Wilson, Abraham Haptonstall, Robert Duffield, James Burnsides, Robert Carlyle, Richard Botkin, John Carlyle, Samuel Black, Edward Hynds, John Botkin, David Bell.
Records of Hugh Coffey in Augusta County, VA
- MARCH 18, 1746/7. - (168) Road ordered from lower end of cow-pasture to Carter's Mill, and Adam Dickenson, James Scot, Wm. Galespy, James Simpson, Wm. Dowerty, Andrew Maldrough, Hugh Coffey, John Donerly, Alexr. McKay, John Mitchell, John Moore, Ralph Laverty, John Cockmill, James Huy, Wm. Hugh, James Stewart, James McKay worked it.
- MAY 21, 1747. - (197) Andrew Muldrough, John Donerly, Alexr. McClary, and Hugh Coffie, appraisers of John Watson.
- Page 55.--11th August, 1747. Joseph Watson's appraisement: By Hugh Coffey, Wm. Dougherty, Andrew Moldrow.
- Page 246.--22d May, 1750. Archibald Clendenning's appraisement, by Hugh Coffey, Alex. McCray, John Cartmel. Books.
- Page 321.--10th August, 1750. Appraisement of Saml. Brown, on Round Oak, by Ephraim Vause, Wm. Buis, Thomas Buis. 7th November, 1750. Appraisement of above on Cowpasture, by Hugh Coffey, Elicksander Mealray, Jno. Donaley.
- Page 518.--22d August, 1767. John Coffey, eldest son and heir of Hugh Coffey, deceased, and Susannah, of the Province of South Carolina, to John Ramsey, £40, 220 acres by patent, 3d November, 1750, to Hugh Coffey, father of John, corner John Donoly, crossing Cowpasture River.
- Page 507.--22d June, 1769. Joseph Watson to James Scot, £22, 200 acres on Cowpasture, corner land Hugh Coffey now lives on. Teste: Randal Lockhart, George Marshall, Geo. Rutledge. Sent James Scot by his order, October, 1773.