- H. Henry Long1713 - bef 1779
- W. Barbara (add)
m. est. 1770-1771
Facts and Events
Henry Long was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Henry Long received a patent for 250 acres "between Picked Mountain and Shenandore River, Jacob Hannon's line, corner Peter (?) Miller's land" on 20th August 1760, (as listed in the disposition below):
- Page 143.--20th August, 1765. Philip Lung, eldest son and heir of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir of Philip Lung, deceased, of Frederick County, to Henry Lung, of Augusta, £200, 350 acres on Shanandore River, at the upper end of Richard Mauding's 2,000-acre tract, purchased by Philip, Sr.. from Henry Downs, pine near Peaked Mountain, Paul Lung's line. Sealer's line. Delivered: Henry Lung, October, 1766.
- Page 146.--15th May, 1765. Same (Long) and Kathrine ( ) to Henry Long, brother of said Paul, and uncle to said Philip, Jr., £100, 240 acres sold by Richard Mauldin to Philip, Sr., 22d September, 1743, descended to Paul and from Paul to Philip Jr., on Shanandore River, Henry Long's other land.
- Vol. 2 - Page 6--Patent to Henry Lung for 100 acres in Augusta on Shenando, 20th September, 1768. Will of Henry Long, Sr., former of Rockingham. Wife, Barbara; infant children; eldest son, Henry Long; sons, Paul, Mathias, Nicholas. Dated 6th January, 1779. Recorded in Rockingham, 27th April, 1779.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 900.--18th March, 1765. Henry Long and Catrina ( ) to George Fridley, £20, 120 acres between Picked Mountain and Shenandore River, part of 250 acres patented to Henry, 20th August, 1760; Jacob Hannon's line, corner Peter (?) Miller's land. Delivered: Jacob Pence, 16th April, 1779.
- Page 223.--18th September, 1768. Henry Long and Catharine ( ) to Jacob Arkinbright, £31.10, 125 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented 12th August, 1760, to said Henry, the other moiety being sold to George Fridley, on a branch between the Peaked Mountain and Shanandoah River. Teste: Adam Pence, Jacob Pence, John Archenbright. Delivered: Jacob Archembright, August, 1769.
- Page 318.--22d March, 1769. Henry Long to Gabriel Jones, £50, 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Philip Long, descended to Philip as eldest son of his father Philip Long, on Shanandore River at upper end of Richard Maulding's 2000 acres tract, near Peaked Mountain, Sealer's line. Mortgage. (Note: this record is in error, either a transcribing error, or written incorrectly in the deed book. What is should say is: 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Paul Long, descended to Paul as eldest son of his father Philip Long. This is confirmed by the acquisition of this same 350 acres, listed above).
- Page 500.--16th November, 1771. Henry Long and Barbara to Michael Coagar, £35, 100 acres on Shanando, between Philip Long and Jacob Coagor. Delivered: Michael Cogor, 26th April, 1785. (Note: Henry had re-married to Barbara prior to Nov. 1771).
- Page 261.--2,000 acres patented to Richard Malden, 30th June, 1743, on Picked Mountain, Henry Lung and Barbara to Henry Julias (Julius). Delivered: Jacob Julius, 13th June, 1788.
- Page 240.--16th May, 1774. Henry Long (signed Emmaniel Henrich Lung), and Barberry ( ) to Henry Tamewood. (Note: Barbara, 2nd wife listed in this transaction, did Henry possibly marry his brother's widow?)
- Vol. 2 - Page 8--Deed, 28th July, 1794, by Nicholas Long and Melinda, his wife, of Green County in the New Territory, to Mathias Long of Rockingham, 1/3 interest in 127 acres in Rockingham on South River bequeathed to Nicholas by his father, Henry. Recorded in Rockingham, July, 1794.
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 448.--1767-68: Processioned by Augustine Price and Frederick Armontrout, viz: For Peter Teasler, for Peter Seller, for Michael Shurle, for John Coutts, for Jacob Man, for John Man, for Jacob Herman, for Henry Long for George Mellow, for Anthony Aeiler, for Jacob Nicholas, for John Hetrick, for Henry Seller, for Alveness Roy(g)ers, for Christopher Deter for George Man, for Peter Miller, for George Miller, for George Fridle, for Peter Herman, Jr.; for Augustine Price, Anthony Aeiler present; for Jacob Arcebright, for Adam Heterick, for Adam Pens, for Jacob Miller, for James Fraiser, for Thomas Burke, for Peachey Gilmore for Charles Rush, for Fredk. Armentrout, for David Fraizer, for Jno. Craige.
Records of Henry Long in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - 1750 - List of tithables liable to work on road from Sherrendo River to top of Blue Ridge at Swift Run Gap. Petition of Hance Magard (Magot). James Urry, William Burk, Stephen Hansburger, Samuel Thornbill, John Fought, John Furniss, Little Partrick, Charles Cross, George Wanol, Jacob Miller, Henry Lung, Adam Miller, Jacob Coger.
- Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Page 393.--26th November, 1751. Jacob Thomas' bond as administrator of John Windlekite, with sureties Henry Long, Jacob Miller.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1752. - (247) James Urrey, Steven Hans Burger, John Fought, Wm. Burk, Saml. Thornhill, John Fornice, Little Patrick, Jacob Miller and son, Adam Miller and son, Charles Cross, Henry Lung, Jacob Coger, George Warrell-to be added to Hans Magart's road hands on road from Shanando River to top Blue Ridge.
- Vol. 2 - Page 378.-- (Processioner's Appointed - 1764) - Adam Bird and John Thomas, in Brock's Gap to the mountain. Archibald Huston, James Brewster, Thos. Moore, Thos. Lackey, from County Line to Fowler's, then down North River to Mr. Jones's, then along the Picked Mountain to the County line. Henry Long, Daniel Price, Jacob Miller, Jacob Nicholas, from Mr. Jones's to the Picked Mountain, and as low as the County Line on both sides the river to Mouth of South River. Adam Rider and Michael Neese, in the Forests. Andrew Lockridge, Alex. Hamilton, Joseph Waughub, Lanty Graham, on both Rivers of Calfpasture and waters thereof.
- Page 337.--15th May, 1764. Alexander Painter's bond (with Henry Long) as administrator Catherine Painter.
- Page 902.--25th April, 1765. James and Moses Green to Steven Conrad, £60, 234 acres, part of 2000 acres patented to James Wood and Robert Green, on Boon's Run between Picked Mountain and Shanandore River, between John Burke's and Runkle's land. Teste: Henry Long, Jacob ( ) Parshinger, George Conrad. Delivered: George Conrad, August Court, 1776.
- Page 46.--26th October, 1767. Catherine Conrad, widow of Stephen Conrad, on account of ill health and age refuses to administer on Stephen's estate and asks to have her eldest son George Conrad appointed. Teste" Jacob Purkey, Henry Lung.
- Page 455.--17th November, 1771. Boston ( ) Hostler and Susannah ( ) to John Cooke, £32. 70 acres between Stony and Dry Runs, corner Jacob Runkle. Teste: Daniel Sink, Henry Lung, Barbara Lung, Jacob Runkles. Delivered: John Cooke, March, 1773. (Note: the Barbara Long listed in this record appears to be the widow of Henry's brother Paul Long).
- Page 173.--16th November, 1773. Elizabeth Painter's bond (with Henry Lung, Henry Selzer) as administratrix of Adam Painter.
- Vol. 2 - APRIL, 1792 (L to Z). - Mathias Long vs. Henry Long--Ejectment, Rockingham County, August 29, 1797. Original patent to Richard Malden, Jr., for 2,000 acres on Peaked Mountain, south River Shenandor, 30th June, 1743; 240 acres sold by Malden to Philip Lung. Survey for Henry Lung, 1753. Copy of will of Henry Lung dated 16th January, 1779; probated 27th April, 1779. Widow was Barbara. Eldest son, Henry, and other minor children. Sons Paul, Mathew, Nicholas. Peter Hog was clerk of Rockingham. Grant to Henry Lung, 100 acres on Shenandoe, 1768.