Facts and Events
Henry Davis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 4.--15th March, 1758. James Davis to sons Henry, William and Samuel Davies, love and affection, 1,300 acres known as Davies' Fancy on the Indian River. 1st, to Henry, a portion on the South Fork known as the Beaver Dam, down the said Fork to where the two Forks meet; 2d, to son William, 350 acres; 3d, to son Samuel, 350 acres. Signed, James ( ) Davies. Delivered: Wm. Davis, May, 1765.
Records of Henry Davis in Augusta County, VA
- Page 208.--26th August, 1757. Gilbert Mills' will, planter--To son William, note on James Staret living in Refoe township, Pennsylvania; son Alexander, clothes; granddaughter Agnes Mills, residuary legatee. Executors, Isaac White, Edward Hall. Teste: Henry Davis, Eleanor Teas Proved, 16th November, 1757, by the witnesses. Executors qualify, with Alex. Richey, Robert McClehenny.
- Page 160.--1st March, 1771. Henry Davis to Benj. Logan, binds himself servant for 1 year and 10 months, £15. Teste: Benj. Yardly. Delivered: James Magill, July, 1771.
- NOVEMBER, 1780 (B). - Henry Davis vs. John Trotter.--Writ, 30th May, 1774. Defendant is in the service.
- Whitlock vs. Whitlock--O. S. 30; N. S. 10--Petition for Certiorari filed September, 1799. Agness and Hanna, infant daughters of Charles Whitlock, decd., by Wm. Davies, their guardian, complains that Thomas Whitlock, father of Charles, owned land on Reed Island in Wythe County and promised to convey it to Charles, if Charles would marry Mary Davies, the daughter of Henry Davies, which marriage took place. James Ingram: :deposes in Wayne County, No. Ca., 10th March, 1804. Richard Christal:deposes in Wayne County, No. Ca., 10th March, 1804. John Hammons:deposes in Wayne County, No. Ca., 10th March, 1804. Thomas Brooks:deposes in Wayne County, No. Ca., 10th March, 1804, son-in-law of Thomas Whitlock. Charles Whitlock was killed by the fall of a tree. (Note: this is a different Henry Davis in Wythe County).