Facts and Events
Heinrich 'Henry' Sellers was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Henry Sellers received a patent of 168 acres on "Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers' (land)" on 1 June 1750, as listed below.
- 28 February 1750 - Henry Sellers purchased 18 acres between the Shenandoah River and Peaked Mountain from Charles Lewis 
- Vol. 2 - 1750-51, February 28th--Henry Seller, 100 acres joining land he bought of Lewis, c. g. e. p.
- Henry Sellers received a patent of 100 acres on 10 March 1756 "on Shanando River", as listed below.
- Page 2 - Henry Sellers, 205 acres, between Shenandoah River and Peaked Mountain. Adjoining Stephen Harnsberger. 3 May 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 415.--18th August, 1761. Henry Seller to son John Seller, £5, 130 acres on Price Run between Shanandoe River and the mountain.
- Page 421.--18th August, 1761. Henry Seller to Peter Seller, £30, 123 acres, 100 acres whereof patented to Henry, 10th March, 1756; 23 acres part of tract whereon Henry now lives, on Shanando River. Delivered: Jno. Seller, August Court, 177G.
- Page 280.--11th September, 1768. Henry Seller to Adam Seller, £60, 168 acres patented to Henry, 1st June, 1750. on Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers'; also 205 acres patented to Henry, 30th August, 1763, between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger. Teste: John Seller, Daniel ( ) Price, Jacob Hammer.
- Page 124.--13th March, 1773. Henry Sellers to Adam Sellers. Teste: Jacob Nicholas, Augustine ( ) Price, Jacob ( ) Argabrite. Delivered: Jno. Sellers, August Court, 1776. (Note: acres or location not specified).
- * Page 487.--Henry Seller to Henry Munger, between Shanando River and Peaked Mountain. Delivered: grantee, 3d April, 1812. (Note: Henry Monger married Henry Seller's daughter, Anna Margaret. The number of acres of this land was not listed in Chalkley's).
Processioning List of 1767-68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 448.--1767-68: Processioned by Augustine Price and Frederick Armontrout, viz: For Peter Teasler, for Peter Seller, for Michael Shurle, for John Coutts, for Jacob Man, for John Man, for Jacob Herman, for Henry Long for George Mellow, for Anthony Aeiler, for Jacob Nicholas, for John Hetrick, for Henry Seller, for Alveness Roy(g)ers, for Christopher Deter for George Man, for Peter Miller, for George Miller, for George Fridle, for Peter Herman, Jr.; for Augustine Price, Anthony Aeiler present; for Jacob Arcebright, for Adam Heterick, for Adam Pens, for Jacob Miller, for James Fraiser, for Thomas Burke, for Peachey Gilmore for Charles Rush, for Fredk. Armentrout, for David Fraizer, for Jno. Craige.
Records of Henry Sellers in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 149.--19th May, 1756. John Bingaman's bond (with Jacob Nicholas, Henry Seller) as administrator of Jno. Bingaman.
- Vol. 2 - Page 207.--16th August, 1758: Salvanus, son to Conrad Cinsley, bound to Harry Selers.
- Page 5.--16th October, 1760. Maurice Poutz (signed Pound), of Fairfax, to John Peter Gully, £__, 130 acres patented to James McCarroll, 20th September, 1748, on Cub Run, Crosswait's line. Teste: Jno. Kurtz, Jacob Curtnes, Anna Curtnes, Peter Hog, Henry Pirgy, Henry Sellar. Philip Horless. Delivered: John Peter Gaily.
- Page 201.--17th March, 1767. Stephen ( ) Hernsberger and Arsley ( ) to John Miller, £53, 200 acres on Shanand River, part thereof being a tract of 176 acres sold to Stephen by Phillip Long, 19th June, 1764, the other part being part of 304 acres patented to Stephen, 31st October, 1765, line of Henry Sellers. Teste: Jacob Pirkey.
- Land Grant Survey: Page 205 - Adam Sellers, 542 acres, Shenandoah River. Adjoining John Miller, Samuel Thornhill, Mathias Scarce, Henry Sellers, Peter Sellers. [Abt. April/May 1773] [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 74].
- Vol. 2 - McGahey vs. Conrad- (undated, appears to be abt. 1807) -O. S. 153; N. S. 54--Complainants are, viz: Tobias R. McGahey and Mary Eve, his wife (formerly widow of Peter Conrad who died testate. Will in Rockingham). Peter Conrade's will of Rockingham; wife, Mary Eve; brothers and sisters, viz: Catharine Miller, Elizabeth Pirkey, Stephen Conrad, Margaret Pirkey, Nicholas Conrade; legatee, Joseph Conrade, living in Madison County; legatee, Christian Conrade, living in Pennsylvania; wife's sister, Christine, wife of John Hammer; wife's sister, Barbara, wife of Henry Sellers; brother, Stephen Conrad. Picked Mountain Congregation. Dated 2d June, 1800. Recorded in Rockingham, September-October, 1800. (Note: this record is for a younger Henry Sellers, perhaps a son or grandson?)
Information on Henry Sellers
Help fund new features!