Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Green Clay (August 14, 1757 – October 31, 1828) was a United States businessman, planter, and politician from Kentucky; he served in the American Revolutionary War and was commissioned as a general to lead the Kentucky militia in the War of 1812. He was believed to be one of the wealthiest men of the state, owning tens of thousands of acres of land, many slaves, several distilleries, a tavern, and ferries.
Legacy and honors
- Clay County, Kentucky, was named in his honor.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Green Clay, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia.
- ↑ Recorded, in Smith, Zachariah Frederick. The History of Kentucky: from its earliest discovery and settlement, to the present date ... its military events and achievements, and biographic mention of its historic characters. (Kentucky: Courier-journal job printing Company, 1892), 475, Secondary quality.
- ↑ Family Recorded, in Perrin, William Henry, ed. History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky. (Chicago, IL, USA: O. L. Baskin, 1882), 454, Secondary quality.
... Green Clay, next in order of descent, was born Aug. 14, 1757; he married Sallie Lewis; by her had six [sic] children, viz: Sidney, Brutus J., Cassius M., Betsey (Smith), Pauline, Rodes and Sallie Johnson. ...
- ↑ Historical Marker, in Kentucky Historical Society. Historical Marker Database , Secondary quality.
Marker Number 2185
Location 500 White Hall Shrine Road
Description In 1799, Gen. Green Clay completed Georgian-style home, Clermont, which was converted in the 1860s into an Italianate-style structure and renamed White Hall by his son Cassius M. Clay. While he served as U.S. minister to Russia, Cassius’s wife, Mary Jane Warfield Clay, oversaw the renovation.
White Hall fell into neglect after Clay’s death in 1903 but was restored by Kentucky First Lady Beula C. Nunn with assistance of the Kentucky Mansions Preservation Foundation, master carpenter Floyd Nuckles, and hundreds of donors. Dedicated on September 16, 1971, by Governor Louie B. Nunn. Over.