Facts and Events
George Seawright was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Land Grant Surveys in Virginia:
- Page 19 - George Seawright, 80 acres, North River of Shenandoah. Adjoining Josiah Cunay. December 9, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 8].
Estate Records of George Seawright
- "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia" by Lyman Chalkley
- Vol. I - Page 234, (167) December 16, 1783, Adm. of estate of George Seawright granted Jane, the widow.
- Vol. 1 - Page 237. (311) James Seawright and John King are appointed guardian of John and Margaret Seawright, orphans of George Seawright. Sept. 21, 1784
- Vol. 1 - Page 379 Ann Seawright, infant, by George, her brother and next friend vs. William Blair.- Case 22nd Apr. 1780. Ann had a sister, Jane.
- Vol. 2 - Page 283. 1785 - Marriage Bond - September 5, Joseph McCutchen and Jane Searight, widow of George Searight; surety, John King. Jean is daughter of Jno. King. Witnesses, James Laird, James Miller, Saml. King.
- Vol. 2 - Page 384. - 21 September, 1784 - James Seawright and John King, ditto John and Margaret Seawright, ditto George Seawright. Under Guardians' Bonds, Augusta County.
- Vol. 2 - Page 390. - 16th December 1783- Jane Searight, Administrator of George Searight.
- Vol. 2 - Page 410. - 1780, Page 56, Am Searight, Infant, George Seawright to pay.
- Vol. 3 - Page 171. Page 433- 16th November 1784. Recorded. Account of George Searight's estate.
- Vol. 3 - Page 172. - Page 471. 7th May 1785. George Searight's additional appraisement.
- Vol. 3 - Page 173. - Page 483.- September Ct. 1784 (?). Recorded. George Searight's appraisement by Jno. Campbell, Andrew McCampbell. David Gibson, Jas. Dickey.
- Vol. 4 - Page 174. Page 502.-15th November 1785. George Searight's estate settled. - Paid Jno. King and Jas. Searight, guardians to orphans.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's: [unless otherwise listed]
- Book O, Page 15 - Land Grant Survey: Martin Argabright, 250 acres. Adjoining Seawright, Shrums. March 9, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 101].
- Book O, Page 33 - Land Grant Survey: Robert and Reuben Harrison, 186 acres, East side of the East Fork of Cooks Creek. Adjoining Dictom, George Seawright, David Shrum, Cravens. The above entry made by Daniel Smith and assigned to said Harrisons. February 13, 1783.[Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 109].
Information on George Seawright
Name George Gavin SEAWRIGHT23, GGGG Grandfather, S623, 2429, M
Death abt 1783, Augusta Co., Va.,18
Birth 1740, Augusta Co., Va.,18
Father John SEAWRIGHT, 2081, M (1717->1784)
Mother Sarah LEEPER, 2082, F (1725-1794)
1 Jane KING23, GGGG Grandmother, K520, 2430, F
Father John KING, 3158, M
Marriage 20 Nov 1780
Children: John, 68, M (1780-1861)
- Ann, 3155, F
- Jane, 3156, F
- Margaret, 3157, F
Research Notes for George Gavin SEAWRIGHT
Their children: Arm, Jane, John, and Margaret who married John Henderson.
- Page 556. Page 430.-19th January 1779. Nicholas Leeper by George Seawright, his attorney, to John Oliver. Gawin Leaper, late of Augusta, sold to John Oliver 66 acres patented to James Leeper, father to said Gawin, 5TH June, 1747. James died intestate and land became vested in Nicholas Leeper as heir.(?).
- Page 559. Page 37. - 6th October 1778. Nicholas Leeper, of Tyron County, North Carolina, to George Seawright, Jr., Power of Attorney to convey to John Oliver land said Oliver now lives on. Teste: James Leeper and James Seawright.