Facts and Events
George Hoffman was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 742.--21st November, 1764. Stephen Conrad and Catherine ( ) to George Huffman, Jr., £85, 220 acres; corner Wood's land on Boon's Run. Delivered: Geo. Huffman, 21st May, 1771.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 182.--22d May, 1771. George Huffman ( ) to John Herdman, £60, 230 acres conveyed to George by Stephen Conrad. 21st November, 1764 corner Wood's land, on Boon's Run. Teste: Thos. Bowyer and Wm S. Madison.
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1767. - (384) Stephen Conrad vs. George Hoffmans.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
- Page 287.--17th August, 1771. Jacob Bair (Bear) and Barbara Miller ( ) Bear, his wife, and Jacob Mayer (Moyer, Meirs) and Christenah ( ) to Mishae) and George Huffman, £64, 276 acres on Shanando River, patented to Jacob Moyer and Jacob Bair, 20th July, 1768, Daniel Link's line. Teste: Daniel Link, Thos. Slaughter, Robert Slaughter, Jr. Delivered: Geo. Huston.
- Page 174.-(undated, appears to be abt. 1774) - Part of 2.000 acres patented to Richard Maiden, 30th June, 1743, corner Henry Eulia. Teste: George and Michael Huffman ( ).
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 19, 1776. - (129) Admn. of estate of Ernest Harmon granted to George Huffman. (129) Stophel and Ernest Harmon chose George Harmon guardian.
- Vol. 2 - 19th November, 1776--George Hoffman, administrator of Ernest Ammon.
- Page 365.---16th November, 1776. John Kisling to Martin Finder, part of 225 acres patented to Jacob Runkle 30th August, 1773 (1763?), west of land where said Runkle lives. Teste: Peter Runkle, George Hoffman. Lewis Rinehart.
- Marriage Bond - 1800--December 23, George Lowdermilk and Geo. Huffman, surety. George Lowdermilk and Rosey Huffman, daughter of. above George. Geo. Lowdermilk is of age.
- When Michael Huffman left for Kentucky George Huffman sold the land and followed Peter and his family to Kentucky and then Butler County, Ohio about 1798.
- Butler Co., OH, Land Records:
- 15 October, 1814 Geo Huffman and Elizabeth his wife sold 107+ acres of land for $200.00 to Joseph Pycraft of Butler Co. and Daniel Harshman of Rockingham Co., VA. Daniel Harshman sold 107 acres to Jacob for $200.00 August 1812. Wit: James Smith and Robt. Richey.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).