b.21 Mar 1744
- H. George Conrad1744 -
- W. Catherine (add)
m. Bef. 1770
Facts and Events
||21 Mar 1744
||to Catherine (add)
George Conrad was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 261.--21st March. 1769. John Burk to George Conrod, £30, 108 acres on Boone's Run, a branch of Shanando. Delivered: George Conrod, August, 1776.
- Page 275.--23d October, 1769. Jacob ( ) Archenbright, yeoman, to George Conrad, blacksmith, £40, mortgage, on Cub Run, purchased by Jacob from Christian Grub, whereon Jacob lately lived, containing 100 acres. Teste: John Gabriel Jones, William Roebuck. Delivered: George Conrod, 11th November, 1771.
- Page 369.--17th August, 1772. David ( ) Fraizer and Barbara ( ) to George Conrad, £90, 157 acres patented to William Frazier, deceased, father to said David, 25th September, 1746, on south side of Shanandore, 2 mile run. Delivered: Geo. Conrod, August Court, 1776.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 431.--16th July, 1770. George Conrad (and Catherine ( )), eldest son and heir of Stephen Conrad to Stephen Conrad, brother of said George £__, natural love and affection. Two tracts 125 acres, 106 acres of which is part of 108 acres conveyed to said George by John Burk and 19 acres, part of tract whereon George now lives, on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore; also 24 acres patented to Stephen Conrad, father to Stephen, 30th August, 1763, and descended to George as eldest son and heir, lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner.
Records of George Conrad in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 902.--25th April, 1765. James and Moses Green to Steven Conrad, £60, 234 acres, part of 2000 acres patented to James Wood and Robert Green, on Boon's Run between Picked Mountain and Shanandore River, between John Burke's and Runkle's land. Teste: Henry Long, Jacob ( ) Parshinger, George Conrad. Delivered: George Conrad, August Court, 1776.
- Vol. 2 - 1766--Supernumeraries: Geo. Conrod, 1.
- age 46.--26th October, 1767. Catherine Conrad, widow of Stephen Conrad, on account of ill health and age refuses to administer on Stephen's estate and asks to have her eldest son George Conrad appointed. Teste" Jacob Purkey, Henry Lung. Page 47.--17th November, 1767. George qualifies as above.
- Page 239.--17th August, 1769. Settlement recorded of estate of Stephen Conrad (Geo. Conrod, executor)--Paid, viz: Jacob Bear, John Fudge, Jno. Michl. Stophelmire, Mathias Kersh, Michl. Summy, Jno. Seller, Valentine Mitcher, Paul Lingal, Mauks Swadley, Jacob Archinbright, Peter Smith, Saml. Maggot, Michl. Shirley, Jacob Shell, Christian Pikle, Jacob Peters, Conrad Peterfish, George Fullingar, Geo. Mallo.
- Page 42.--8th November, 1770. Commission to Daniel Smith and Felix Gilbert to take privy examination of Catherine, wife of George Conrad, deed to Stephen Conrad, dated 16th July, 1770. Executed, 17th November, 1770.
- Page 431.--19th August, 1776, Stephen Conrad's further settlement-- To paid John Sworback, the minister, part of the testator's subscription; by a tract of land sold my brother. George Conrad, executor.
- Vol. 2 - Mathews vs. Johnston--O. S. 364; N. S. 132--Deed, 27th August, 1808, by William Freighley (Fraly) and wife, Mary, of Albemarle, to Sarah Johnston, of Rockingham, 12 acres on Smith's Creek, in Rockingham, patented to Daniel Freighley, 1794, and by him conveyed to William by deed recorded 28th April, 1796. Recorded in Rockingham, September, 1808. Deed, 25th May, 1821, by Sarah Johnson to _____ Blosser, above 12 acres. No certificate of record. Deed, 2d January, 1822, by Sarah Johnson, of Augusta, to Daniel Mathews, of Rockingham; above 12 acres. Recorded in Rockingham, 9th May, 1822. Deed, 19th December, 1803, by Benjamin Tallman and wife, Dinah, of Rockingham, to John Depo; 150 acres, parts of two tracts; 36 acres in part of 182 acres, conveyed by Ann Tallman to Benjamin by deed 25th April, 1796, part of 290 acres conveyed by Joseph Conrad, son and heir of George Conrad, to Ann Tallman, 26th June, 1792; part of 590 acres patented to said George, 11th December, 1780, the remaining 114 acres are part of said 290 acres conveyed by said Joseph to Ann, and also of 45 acres conveyed by said Joseph to said Ann part of 75 acres, part of 144 acres patented to John Needham, 3d August, 1771, and by his daughter Eleanor, heiress-at-law, conveyed to said George, 26th March, 1781. The 144 acres conveyed to Benjamin, 8th December, 1803. Recorded in Rockingham, December, 1803. Deed, 25th August, 1783, by Zebulon Harrison and wife, Margaret, of Rockingham, to Benjamin Tallman, 165 acres on Smith's Creek. Recorded in Rockingham, 25th August, 1783.
- Vol. 2 - Hamilton (George) vs. Depoy--O. S. 307; N. S. 109--Deed, 21st December, 1813, by John Dippo (Dopoy) and wife Mary, of Rockingham to George Hamilton, 150 acres in Rockingham, part of two original tracts; 36 acres, part of 182 acres conveyed by Ann Tallman to Benj. Tallman by deed 25th April, 1796, which was part of 59 acres inclusive, survey by patent to George Conrad, 11th December, 1780. 114 acres patented to John Needham, 3d August, 1771, and by his daughter Elenor, heir-at-law, conveyed to George Conrad by deed, 26th March, 1781, by him to Ann Tallman, by her to Benj. Tallman, 8th December, 1803, the 150 acres conveyed by Benj. to John Depoy, by deed, on Smith's Creek.
- Monger vs. Conrad--O. S. 394; N. S. 144--Deed, 10th April, 1818, by Michael Deck of Rockingham to George Conrad, 73 acres conveyed in trust 1812 by Martin Munger to Michael Deck to secure Mathias Long. Recorded in Rockingham, 21st April, 1818.