Facts and Events
George Boswell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta/Rockingham County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 265.--18th November, 1773. John Madison and Aggathy, of Botetourt, to George Boswell, tract whereon George now dwells, part of 1000 acres patented to John, 10th March, 1756; patented to John, 2d June, 1758, corner Abraham Estis; patented to John, 16th August, 1756. [Chalkleys, Vol. 3].
- Book OII, Page 1 - George Boswell, 220 acres. Adjoining Hugh Donoho, Lewis. April 5, 1780. William Campbell, Nathaniel Scott, Chain carriers. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 97].
- Book OII, Page 1 - George Boswell, 182 acres, Madison Gap. April 7, 1780. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 97].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 553.--19th August, 1777. George Boswell and Judith to John Corthrae. 150 acres whereon John lives.
Records of George Boswell in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1777. - (165) These recommended for Justices, viz: George Boswell, John Thomas, Wm. McPheeters, James Steel, James Dyer, Thomas Huett, Wm. Nalle, Samuel Lyle, Robert Davis, John McCreary and Henry Ewing.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1777. - (201) Judith, wife of George Boswell--commission for her priv. examination. Deed to John Carthrae.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1778. - (261) Ordered to be certified to the Governor that the following Justices are recommended for appointments as Justices will fall in the new Counties, viz: In Rockingham--Silas Hart, Daniel Smith, Felix Gilbert, Abraham Smith, John Gratton, Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, George Boswell, Thomas Hewett, John Thomas, William Nall, Robert Davis, James Dyer, Henry Ewing, William McDowell, Anthony Rider, John Fitzwater, and Isaac Hinckle. In Rockbridge--Archibald Alexander, Samuel McDowell, John Hays, Charles Campbell, and Samuel Lyle. In Augusta--John Dickenson, John Christian, John Poage, George Moffet, Sampson Mathews, Alexr. McClenachan, William Bowyer, George Mathews, Michael Bowyer, Alexr. Robertson, Thomas Huggart, Elijah McClenachan, John Lewis, Alexr. St. Clair, John Kinkead, James Tate, William McPheeters, James Steel, John McCreery, Joshua Humphreys, Joseph Bell, Peter Hanger, James Craig--the two last to be left out for refusing to take the oath of allegiance.
- Page 467.--3d October, 1778. Daniel Smith and Gaw'th. Hamilton, take privy examination of Judith, wife of George Boswell, deed to John Carthrea, 19th August, 1777.
- Vol. 2 - ROCKINGHAM COUNTY RECORDS. The following notes are from the Minute Book of the County Court of Rockingham through the Revolutionary Period:
- 1778--April 27th, First Court met, composed as follows, viz: *Silas Hart, *Danl. Smith, *Abraham Smith, *Jno. Gratton, *Josiah Davison, John Skidmore, *George Boswell (Bowelt), *Thomas Hewitt, *Jno. Thomas, Wm. Nalle, Ro. Davis, *James Dyer, *Henry Ewing, *Wm. McDowell, *Anthony Ryder, *John Fitzwater, *Isaac Hinkle. (Those checked (*) qualified). Silas Hart qualified Sheriff. Gawen Hamilton qualified Under Sheriff. Thomas Lewis qualified Surveyor. Hugh Diver's will probated.
- Vol. 2 - 1778--May 25th, Josiah Davidson qualified Sheriff. Christian Miller's estate granted widow Catherine. Gabriel Jones qualifies Deputy Attorney. Wm. Nalle qualifies Major. Anty. Ryder qualifies Captain. Thos. Hewitt, Thos Baggs, Reuben Harrison, Danl. Smith, Jr., qualify Captains. Joseph Smith, Jno. Rice, Nicholas Carn qualify Lieutenants. Wm. Smith, Christopher Painter qualify Ensigns. Felix Gilbert convicted of speaking treasonable words that tend to encourage the sedition on the Western Waters. Josiah Harrison qualified Lieutenant. Vestrymen qualify, viz: Danl. Smith, Jno. Thomas, George Boswell, Gawen Hamilton, Benj. Harrison, Wm. Herring, Abraham Smith, Jno. Gratton, Wm. Nalle.
- Vol. 2 - 1779--June 28th, Josiah Davidson refuses to perform duties of Sheriff, and these are recommended, viz: Abraham Smith, John Gratton, George Boswell.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).